2012-13 Michigan Wolverines Men's Basketball

Discussion in 'Other Hoops Talk' started by LA Dre, Nov 28, 2012.

1. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I blame McGary[Laimbeer2.0]
    Too many put backs for Loui
  2. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

Even as a State alum, was devastated to see the Wolverines lose. Watched the game at the Crisler Center and that place was electric. It was fun.

Was really disappointed by the reserved nature the students I was around exhibited after the game. I saw not one coach on fire or TV on the ground. Tisk Tisk Wolverines.
  3. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

hey state woulda added more mayhem
  4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You mean if State had won that title game vs North Carolina at Ford Field a few years back there would have been riots in downtown Detroit?
    In other news...the Big 10 has had it bad in NCAA titles games lately.

After going 3-0 in the 80's with two wins by the Hoosiers and one by Michigan, the Big 10 has gone 1-7 since then with only the Spartan win in 2000 to cheer about at big 10 headquarters. Michigan contributed to three of the losses whether the NCAA recognizes them or not. Indiana, Ohio State, Illinois and Michigan State also found themselves on the low side of the score during this time frame.
  5. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

no one likes Goliath, cept his family
    linwood likes this.
  6. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

They don't like him either. He eats all the chicken legs at dinner time.
    linwood likes this.
  7. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

to this day I won't eat chicken wings
    thighs, legs, breast, back I'll do.
  8. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Burke going to the NBA.

"A likely lottery pick according to ESPN.com draft analyst Chad Ford, Burke returned to Michigan with the goals of taking the Wolverines deep into the NCAA tournament and improving his draft stock."

Would be nice if one of their goals was furthering their education. UM is a pretty good school last I checked.
  9. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

For 99% of the kids, the goal is an education. Burke is in that other 1%.
  10. ggazoo69

Good point, BL. Unfortunately, 99% of that 1% are college basketball players who can get hurt early in their careers and have nothing on which to fall back. I wish kids who don't really want an education would just go to the D-League and allow that scholarship money to be given to needy kids from tough backgrounds who really want a quality education.

After UConn's Kemba Walker left school to go to the NBA, it came out that he had never read a book until college and that he only read two while in college.

These "student"-athletes don't belong on college campuses. They are taking up classroom space.
  11. BillLaimbeer

For every Kemba Walker, there is another kid who is going to class and is making the most of getting a free, quality education. How do you distinguish between the two?
  12. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Any kid that can get into college and can play basketball deserves the NCAA show case. Should they get some NBA money they can always go back to school and pay for their education.
  13. ggazoo69

How many of them actually do?
  14. ggazoo69

Find out who is going to class and kick out the ones who are NOT going to class or doing the work assigned in class, regardless of whether they can help you win basketball games. I'm not putting Burke in this category. I know nothing of his ability as a student. But if his ONLY goals for coming back his sophomore year were to improve his NBA stock and help his team go deep into the tournament, then I think that is sad. He had access to a free education at one of the best universities in the country. I simply HOPE education was one of his goals. I think we know pretty well that many "one and done" college basketball players don't belong in college. I think many "two and done" shouldn't be there either. Again, go play in the D-League. It's not the showcase that the NCAA is, but it's not as if nobody from the parent team watches those games. They do.
  15. BillLaimbeer

Perhaps you are reading too much into that statement about his goals. Maybe he was talking about athletic goals. Who knows?

Anyway, the days when student-athletes could skip class, have someone else do their homework and take their tests for them are in the past. There are too many eyes watching nowadays. The risks outweigh the rewards for high profile teams to cheat.
  16. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

The only thing I'd add is the kid there for one year only takes a joke of class load the first semester then blows off the 2nd semester. I wish that the NBA would have a D-league draft per say for kids that don't want to go to college. They can work out the rules I don't care what they are, but if the kid choices to go to college they have to play 2-3 years before they can go to the Pro's.

Only thing I would ask is make the D-league pay little enough that kids that don't know there for sure Stars (the James and Kobes of the world) have to make a serious decision on which route they would take.
  17. BillLaimbeer

The NCAA final had 23.4 million people watch it. If you were good, why would you want to go play in front of 2000 people with the Idaho Stampede or the Springfield Armor?
    coynejeremy and LA Dre like this.
  18. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Going to Michigan for two years, you would have thought that maybe he (or the designated athletic tutor) would have written something for that said he was back there to help Michigan win the championship and made a comment like "Michigan is a great education institution, so I hope to return one day and get my degree" But although some student athletes come back and get it, they never say it and not sure how many come back to get a real degree or honorary degree.
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

If I were him and interested in my education, I'd still turn pro.
    linwood and coynejeremy like this.
  20. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Zoo I was speaking theoreticly, none do.
    Dre, Iremember one guy went back and finished. That RB Smith for Vikes, he left $25M on the table.