2012-13 Michigan Wolverines Men's Basketball

Discussion in 'Other Hoops Talk' started by LA Dre, Nov 28, 2012.

1. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

How can they allow a 40 minute game with a 15 minute halftime last 2 hrs : 28minutes is a testament to the greed of CBS and the NCAA!!! Im so tired of the 21st century.....
    BallDon'tLie, linwood and LA Dre like this.
  2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Big 10 Network has live post game interviews....players praising the coach
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Those were bad, but the epic block by Burke that was called a foul seemed to be a critical momentum stopper.

All in all, they let them play through a ton of contact which I like. Great game both offensively and defensively.

Michigan's PG's did a great job in deterring the full court pressure. When anyone else had the ball trying to break the press it got ugly... except Hardaway's dunk.
  4. LA Dre

Despite the Spike heroics, the Player of the year sat for 12 minutes in this game where he normally averages 38 minutes a game. That 2nd foul and the coach nailing him to bench was a key to game...I mean if he had sat for six minutes, it may have made a difference, but I will have to review the tape later to see what sequence of events happen after the second three by Hancock on both the offensive and defensive end for Michigan. Every non coaching media guy from ESPN to CBS second guessed Coach B's decision not to bring Burke back in to control our offense and break that pressure.

In comparing the first half heroes in Spike and Hancock, Spike did not score in the second half and Hancocks six points in the second half was the difference in the game.

How many FT did they miss? 7 or 8 wasn't??

No one not name Burke should be throwing their hat in the upcoming NBA draft...even Burke indicated at the presser he wasn't sure.:bs:.

We know GR3 and Tim Jr, were off their games, but what happen to Nick Stauskus? Dude scored 3 points in the Georgia Dome the whole weekend.

Great game, when some thought it would be a Louisville win from start to finish.
  5. max

max All-Star

As my significant other would say if she had stayed up for the game- the Yellow team lost. Too bad. We were following that Yellow team.

Who knows when they will get back - esp if Burke turns pro. Good effort. They got better as a team and individuals as the tournament progressed. I don't know about a few of those calls, esp that clean block Burke had. Or what about the cheap one that sent him to the bench for most of the 1st half.

I enjoyed it. Did not get to see too much during the season so it was fun getting to know the players.
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Burke ended up with 4 fouls and he had to burn clock twice to avoid issuing his 5th. Seems like it was smart to sit him, especially since his backup was amazing. Luke's 4 treys in a row made up the fastest comeback I've ever seen though.
  7. max

max All-Star

Yes that was amazing but he also kind of sputtered out with about 3 to 4 mins left at about the time when Louisville made their run. Have to wonder what would have happened if Burke was in there.
  8. LA Dre

Well we know Burke would not have blocked those three pointers, but if I recall a couple TO's led to at least one or two of those threes by Hancock and definitely led to the end of the half momentum changing slam dunk. I would have like our chances with Burke bringing the ball down when it appeared a run was about to jump off....
  9. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Agree with everything that HQ posted - the refs were terrible, and there were way too many timeouts for either team to get much of a rhythm, way too many TV timeouts. And UM got outcoached by the facelift that walks like a man.
    OLD SKOOL HQ likes this.
  10. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

There are 3 media timeouts per half of every DI and DII game for the entire season.
  11. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Can you please stop?
    BallDon'tLie likes this.
  12. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Shut it, CJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    linwood and coynejeremy like this.
  13. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

Burke sitting in the 1st was fine by me, the fact that Hancock was being left with open practice like 3's was the issue... after he made the first one, somebody should have been checking on the flavor of his bubble gum non stop. Twice the defenders switched and then switched back while he had the ball leaving him WIDE open.... and twice they got burned on backdoors with no talking on the floor...

Those are the mistakes of freshmen, and all in all they played hard and should be a strong team again next year with or without Burke. But getting to the Final 4 is still part luck so even if there better next year that doesn't mean they will get back... got to finish it off when you have the chance.
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Both teams played hard.

Ignoring that the ending wasn't climactic, that was one of the better tournament games that I've ever seen from the start through crunch time. If it would have ended with a Mich-Kansas style comeback it probably would be the best ever.
  15. LA Dre

I don't even remember last years game other than another school from Kentucky won with a big guy with a uni-brow. Last nights game was a instant classisc and yes would have even been better if Louisville or Michigan had won on a buzzer beater or even gone into OT.

There were so many back stories/sub plots associated with Louisville, including Pitino getting in the HOF, his horse running in the derby, his son getting a job at Minnesota, winning with two different teams and Kevin Ware's horrific injury.

You have to wonder if Michigan had held on won in a blow out, what subplots would everyone be talking about this morning?? All five Fab Fivers were in the building to support, the fathers of BigDog3 Tim Jr and Jon Horford were starting their own management team to represent Mitch McGary and Spike Albrecht who immediately declared themselves for the draft?:biggrin:

Lot of ifs in this tourney.biggest being...if Ware does not get hurt, does Hancock get off the bench to lead the comeback vs the Shockers or the Wolverines with his threes? :noidea:

Good season for the Wolverines...:second:
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Hancock's 2nd 3-pointer was a tough shot and was pretty guarded. That was a killer because it gave him license to heat check the half away.
    linwood likes this.
  17. linwood

linwood All-Star

I thought the Wolverines had a great chance of winning with over 7 minutes on the clock, in the double bonus, and four timeouts left. They did manage to get to the line, but clanked quite a few FTs. I think that, plus the Cards tough-as-nails rebounding made the difference.
  18. LA Dre

They shot 72% from the FT line...18-25. it looked bad when they missed them in crunch time and lucky for them they were in the double bonus, they hit the second shot. (The Cards were 18-23).

With Burke on the bench for so long, the other guys never got Mitch involved enough that may have open the middle a little more. yeah we was in foul trouble too, but even him going to the line and missing a couple of FT's would have negated the Cardinal bigs from being so effective in the second half had they been in foul trouble.
  19. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Louisvillle was this year's 2000 MSU team. They just were not going to lose. Belien was outcoached and Siva is a winner like Cleaves was. All I would have changed was McGary getting it in the post more and Hardaway posting up Smith more. But we settled for too many jumpers and Burke settled for proving he was player of the year too much. All in all, I wear my leather M jacket very proudly!! Hail to the Victors!!
    Nemo and linwood like this.
  20. LA Dre

The Wolverines live and die but the jump shot.

Their D was the best during the first five games of the tourney and the first 15 minutes of the first half..... I saw the last 13 minutes of the first half again today. The best time to have brought Burke back in was right that the under 4 minute media time out , It was 31-21 then...or 45 seconds later after Hancock had buried his second three.... Hardaway was the defensive expert who was out there on two of the treys and Levert was the victim of the other two. The worst was when Morgan and Levert were double teaming him just about the time he was about to launch the third one and Morgan abandoned the double team and headed to the hoop for a possible rebound.

To warm for me wear my M jacket, but I did wear a M football jersey yesterday instead of a M t-shirt, so blame the loss on my wardrobe choice.:ohwell:

No double win for Louisville as the Lady Cardinals were blown out by the women from UCONN by 33 points. Once again the best coach won...