2012-13 Michigan Wolverines Men's Basketball

Discussion in 'Other Hoops Talk' started by LA Dre, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Woody

Woody All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Good analysis!

Our bigs cannot jump or block out, and Wisconsin shot lights-out in the second half.

We'll likely have the same problem next year. No help in sight.
  2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If Burke, Hardway Jr., and Robinson III all head to the NBA, UM may be in big trouble next year....
  3. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Yeah, I think they get a #3 seed. Not a bad place to be except they were hoping for a #1. Well, the biggest part off the season is upon us. They have the chance to redeem themselves but I think if They or MSU don't make it outlying of the sweet 16 their fans will be dissatisfied. If they don't even get to the final 16 it is a major downer.

I think Michigan State locks down a #3 unless the lose to Iowa. #4 at worst and #2 at best depending how the rest of the tourney goes for them. I don't think it is likely they get a #1 and after the 1st round there is abdolutely no difference between a #4 and #5 as far as the tournament is concerned.

Both teams are capable of making a run.
  4. Woody

Woody All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think Burke goes NBA.
    If Hardaway is wise, he'll stay. He's not a first round pick yet.
    Robinson is also not a first round pick. Maybe if he shows more next year, He'll make it.
  5. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Burke is a definite goner ...no use sticking around with this coach who never seems to keep a decent guard for more than two seasons anyway because of the way he coaches.

I don't know who has committed to the Wolves in the fall, but if they don't get at least two footers that are blue chip, it will be a difficult next year unless the those sons of b players in Hardaway, GRob and Horford stick around and McGary and Stauskas enhance their skill-sets over the summer.

Hardaway Sr and Robinson Jr, will have to have a pow-wow and determine if they got enough cash to sustain their lifestyles or do they need their sons to come out now so they can dip into their pockets:biggrin:
  6. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

All 3 will go in the 1st round if they enter the draft. Right now, they are projected to go:

#13 - Robinson
    #15 - Burke
    #23 - Hardaway

2013 Mock Draft | NBADraft.net
  7. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Michigan will be a 4 seed.

MSU will be a 2 seed.

Book it Dano............
  8. LA Dre

If the Wolverines don't get to the third round, it will because Robinson was a no show just like he has been nearly the whole conference schedule. He is athletic, but his jumper has suffered in 2013 and his stock should fall behind Burke and Hardaway IMO.

Poor Jordan Morgan will be lucky to get a tryout even if he stays all four years...
  9. Darth Tater

I'm not sure on a 3 or 4 for Michigan, so I will guess a 3. Which should get them to the sweet 16. Big difference between a 3 vs.8 compared to a 4 vs. 5

Michigan State isn't playing great. They lose once more on the road to Ohio State. They get a #3 seed.

Captain Obvious figures Indiana wins the tournament but if not I think Wisconsin will.

Elementary my dear Watson.
  10. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

I think M will be BETTER next year when Burke leaves. Its like when Sampson left Virginia and the next year they went to the Final Four with Orthello Wilson. Sometimes stars can be a distraction. Albrecht will make a very good college point guard and Stauskas and Mcgary definetly get better. Also, i believe Robinson will stay. Levert reminds me of Gary Grant. This was a very good season for a team with 5 freshman, a soph and a junior leading them.
    Nemo likes this.
  11. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Old Skoo !
    NIT Please !
    They scored [both teams] 37 in first half. 90 in second. Vegas over 124
  12. Darth Tater

Yep Elementary. What was your book it Dano prediction a couple posts earlier, nemo. I forgot...:)
  13. LA Dre

Does anyone smell upset here for the Wolverines.....after going 16-0, the Wolves finished 10-7. South Dakota State shoots from all over the floor and that will challenge M's defense which has been lacking during conference play. Lets hope that they can return to form beating non conference teams....I picked them to go the third round on one bracket and the 4th roind in two others
  14. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

It all depends on the teams pysch.... They only had one bad lose per say in that stretch, the lose to Penn State was horrid, but all the other loses were to quality teams and most were on the road. Be interesting to see how well the BigTen does in the tourney, you can argue that all 7 teams that made the tourney could make the sweet 16, now that would be sweet and a nice kick in the teeth to the rest the country :D.
  15. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Indiana, Wisconsin, MSU, OSU and UM all should make the sweet 16.
    If they don't, then their seasons are a failure.
    The other two are just are window dressing.
  16. Darth Tater

I think it is pretty harsh to say "their seasons were a failure". I guess in some sense every team that is eligible And doesn't win that tournament has "failed" in some sense. Maybe many did not meet their expectations.but take my 2nd least favorite school in the world, U of M. They showed a lot of improvement this year. They actually had a really good year, IMO. I believe their accomplishments will go a long toward winning possibly winning more games. The Michigan thread was more active than it
    has been in ages. The fans, you included, I believe had a great deal of fun watching the games, and discussing the team. Even at the end where there were a few bumps.

Yeah, I know the arrogant "At U of M we expect the team to win every tournament blah blah blah. Sparty is spoiled too with their many successes over the years in basketball. They lost a close one to U of M at the end of the season and didn't win the Big Ten tournament but I think the fans have relatively little to complain about. Hey, Sparty beat Boise State this season. I wish they crushed them but it was close.

I do think if our team lose a first round game that everyone involved will and should be embarrassed at their final performance, and it sure would put a damper on our season, but again, to call them failures?

Too harsh fishy.

Rant alert:

OMG! Speaking of which, for years around here, most of the people
    around here pooh poohed basketball if you mentioned it. Now that is all they talk about: flags are flying. It's like they are the winners of the tournament. They my are whining about the lack of respect the basketball team received in the past, just like the football team.

They were LUCKY to even get a chance at a playoff game. The media keeps saying they are no worse than the third best conference in the nation. I guess Im missing something because I sure don't see it that way. Does anyone else around here? They just seem to think that the entire sports world evolves around them.

I hope they lose tonight to Lehigh, but if not, I hope they go to 4th seed Kansas State and get blown out. I wish they were in #4 Michigan's bracket. Anyhow, how does a team that had to play in get to be a #13? Shouldn't they be 16? Or MAYBE 15? Whatever, I wish you guys could experience how these people act and think. It isn't Green Acres type cute. They are downright delusional!! They've already mapped out their road to the Sweet 16 and many really do believe its a given. Well it has happened before to # 13 seeds. Oh please Lord, do not let them become the Cinderella team of this tournament. Go MSU!!
  17. LA Dre

Ultimate homer...Jalen Rose has Michigan winning the whole thing....no comments from C-Webb yet.

I have OSU and Indiana in the final four in two of my brackets and MSU and IU in another. If not for the Wolverines stumbling the past month, I could have had them in the final 4 of one the brackets too.
  18. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

John Beilein seems worried about South Dakota State:

19. LA Dre

Me too...:nailbiting:
  20. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

Well.... what else is he suppose to say? We should win by 40?...

NOTHING that South Dakota State can do worries me.... now how do we show up.... That SCARES me to death....
    Darth Tater likes this.