1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

2011 CBA Negotiations Thread

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by G-man, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

When I read that Chris Webber, a player compared to Darko, made $176,000,000 in a 15 year career...i just want to :yukpuke:

Darko making 20 million and Amir getting 36 million after their [SARCASM]illustrious[/SARCASM] careers. :pound:

I find it very difficult to side with the players when this kind of money is being made.

2. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Just remember, as you struggle to look at the numbers and hold down breakfast, that if the players are making this much, then a bunch of other folks are making a whole lot more.

3. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

The lockout will come and players won't gain from it: in NHL prelocout conditions on negotiations table were better than players received after the lockout.

4. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

I have to think your actually right, in todays state with the economy I think that once there is a lock out the owners will then really bite the bullet and go for broke.

5. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Not in the real world.

Owners seem to be setting up a solid chance at a successful lockout. With players signing for unprecedent amounts, the public will be on the owners side when the dust clears.

6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Owning a sports team is considered to be a sucker's bet for most ultra rich people. Most of the ones that do it, do it for status or to have fun.

It's theoretically possible that the players can all walk away with massive salaries and the owner's as a whole can actually lose money.

7. dba

With things going as they are, the public will be the owners by the time the dust clears.

8. G-man

G-man Starter

Enchilada's ingredients....

The Path To A Permanent Peace Between NBA Players And Owners
    Elrod Enchilada - RealGM

“There’s a lot of changes on the horizon,” Kevin McHale said. “I think good changes. I think that the whole thing has taken on a life of its own. I think our guarantees are way too long and way too much money. Corrections need to be made. We’re kind of in the Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac era. What do they call them, sub-prime loans? There are some sub-prime contracts.”

9. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Re: Enchilada's ingredients....

Elrod has clearly put a lot of thought into this idea of his. I'm generally distrustful of centrally controlled economic planning, though.

10. dba

Re: Enchilada's ingredients....

Stop me before I spend again!!

Interesting article. Seems like it might work.

11. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

I read from Estonian media that Ted Leons - owner in Washington Wizards -was fineb by league 100K because of he mentioned that owners are working towards hard cap.

12. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

13. G-man

G-man Starter

and the wall comes down...

NBPA executive director '99 percent sure' lockout loomsPosted Nov 22 2010 9:07PM

"NEW YORK (AP) -- NBA players' association executive director Billy Hunter said Monday he is "99 percent sure" there will be a lockout next summer.

"I think it's highly probable that there will be a lockout and that's what I'm preparing for because I don't see anything else right now," Hunter said.

With negotiations toward a new collective bargaining agreement to replace the one that expires next summer going nowhere, Hunter said he's been instructing his players to save their money.

There was no breakthrough in the latest meeting with league representatives last week, and the sides hope to meet again next month. But Hunter said the owners aren't budging on their demands for cuts in salaries, contract lengths and guarantees, annual raises, and the rookie salary scale.

"What's left?" Hunter said in a conference room at the union's headquarters after helping distribute turkeys to 2,000 families outside.
    The sides have been negotiating for more than a year, but Hunter agreed with Commissioner David Stern that there's been no progress. And the players are no closer to agreeing to the cuts that the league is seeking.

"I don't really see that the argument's all that compelling for the changes that they're asking for," Hunter said.

The league is calling for a reduction in player salary costs of $700 to $800 million and is seeking a hard salary cap to replace the system which now allows for certain exceptions."

NBPA executive director '99 percent sure' lockout looms | NBA.com

14. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Regarding the lockout and Rips contract, does anyone know how it works? I googled a while but didn't find anything from reliable sources. The best thing I found was from the prominent user "guest" on a random NFL forum:

I have obv no idea how reliable this guy is so do we have any lockout experts here? The chances for a full season lockout seems slim but you never know and that would really suck.

15. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

16. max

max All-Star

NBA owners propose $45 million hard salary cap | Celtics Town | Boston Celtics blog | Celtics news

Thats from May 16, if anything has changed?

If the owners are looking at 45mil for a hard cap that's even way below the soft cap. I thought the soft cap was 61mil but that article said it was 58mil. Hard cap ( lux tax threashold ) would have been around 70mil for next year which has been the real cap most teams went by. So I don't know whats going on with this or how they hope to get there.

One proposed aspect that should be attractive to most Pistons fans is a non-guaranteed contract where teams can just dump a player. I know this probably will not happen but if it was proposed then maybe there will be some kind of a compromise where you can a dump a player or two one time.

17. G-man

G-man Starter

18. max

max All-Star

19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I like the guaranteed contracts.

20. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Me too. I'm a big fan of accountability on the owners'/GMs' side.