2011 CBA Negotiations Thread

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by G-man, Aug 5, 2009.

1. drmcgraw2000

drmcgraw2000 First Round Draft Pick

I can't disagree with that, but most owner's hire GM's to take care of fielding a team. I think most owners would say that they don't know enough about the game or the players to make those decisions. I equate it back to myself. When it comes to planning my financial future I don't have the time to do all the research myself so I hire a Financial Planner. Of course, I try to do some due diligence, but I have other obligations that make that difficult and sometimes impossible and I take their advice at face value.

BTW. If you compare Charlie V's salary to the NBA average it is only $2mm more. To you and I it is a bad deal, but when you look at the averages it really isn't. Going back to the hard cap, if you were a GM and knew you could only spend X amount of dollars I don't think you would be willing to take that risk that somebody like JD did on CV.

I long for the NBA days of the 80s - mid 90s.. At least we have college basketball! I swear every time I post about this subject (CBA) I get one step closer to saying "Good Riddance" to the NBA!!. Which kind of sucks because I just moved back to Michigan after living in Florida (although I still work in FL, thank you airtran/Delta for carting my butt back and forth weekly) for 23 years!!
  2. max

max All-Star

Looks like we may get a deal done soon and there still may be time to save all 82 games.

NBA Lockout -- Union, owners resume talks, meeting in small groups - ESPN
  3. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Yes, I just don't buy their BS about losing money. How much more do they need going in their favor? You pay through the nose for tickets, food, drinks and parking and it is still not enough for these clowns.

The owner signs the checks and ultimately makes the deals a reality. It is on the advice of someone else as you say, but in the end it was Mr. D not Joe D. who wouldn't pay the luxury tax when Piston fans were packing the house night after night.
  4. Ernie the Slow Adult

Honestly, why would someone like Tommy Boy Gores - a billionaire and by all accounts a shrewd businessman - buy the Pistons who draw about 35 fans per game and have a gutted roster with a work stoppage looming if there was not major $$ to be made?
  5. max

max All-Star

The Pistons were always ran exceptionally well financially. They have no debt and own their own stadium. I read a piece a couple of years ago talking about how much money teams lose by not owning their own gym. There is a very steep cost in cases where cities built the stadiums.

There is talk on NBA channel of settling this weekend. Looks like there is a very good possibility of reaching an agreement as soon as tomorrow.
  6. Ernie the Slow Adult

Yes Max, they were exceptionally well run for them and not us.

I know we've talked in the past about what we had being better then the Pistons leaving town in a sea of debt, but if the numbers are accurate then the Pistons were raking in money while claiming to be broke.

The Pistons have benefited greatly from owning The Palace. It seems like teams who get stadiums built for them also get sweetheart leases to play there. They do not get the concession and parking revenue from the facility though.

The Celtics do not own their building and they seem to be doing OK. Bill Simmons wrote that teams like the Celtics who own their own TV networks re-did their TV deals (w/ themselves) so it would be unclear how much $$ they earned on their TV contract. They can then keep the money earned by the network instead of sharing the rights fee paid by the network with the League.

I am oddly un-excited at the possibility of an agreement being reached.
  7. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Pistons made an average of 20 million per year during the 2003-2008 years. That's not bad for such a business. Even with less team success, they made even more these past two seasons...closer to 30 million per...

That's what irritates me. Being crappy somehow paid off............
  8. max

max All-Star

Pistons always spent right up to the lux tax line like 25 or so other teams did. Very few teams went into lux tax. They did one time after the Sheed trade.

Indiana was having a lot of issues with their stadium lease. Boston is a big market and had good playoff runs.
  9. Ernie the Slow Adult

I know you've said that in the past, but I don't think the Pistons paid the lux tax that year.

Of the 25 teams near the line the Pistons were the only one at the top of their conference/league.
  10. max

max All-Star

I remember hearing that on the radio - one of the post-game shows but I never looked it up to verify.

Well, no deal today. More games canceled - through Nov 30. An 82 game season is no longer possible. BRI was the sticking point. Players lowered their number to 52 but the owners, lead by the small market minions no doubt, stayed firm at 50-50. No link to post. Time to find something else to do I guess, thought they really were close there yesterday.
  11. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

50/50 may be the best the players see during this period of bickering. Owners will soon pull that offer from the table if more games are cancelled. I hope what I read about Hunter and Fisher having a dispute is wrong. I'm really not anxious to see basketball return, unless the new agreement allows the Pistons to gut their roster and send a few Turkeys packing. I am interested though to see what happens to Rodney Stuckey....

I can't seem to select the right avatar for my mood here so just pretend that I just don't care.
    The avatar window does not shift to show me new avatars...
  12. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

I suppose I can take the money I was going to spend on league pass and just buy NBA2k12, update the rosters, and watch the computer play games.

:crying:
  13. max

max All-Star

trying out the quote feature.

I plan on watching a lot more college hoops. Be the perfect opportunity to start following it more.
  14. max

max All-Star

Kind of neat article.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/sam_amick/11/02/nba.labor/?xid=cnnbin

Small market owners are being painted as the villains to any reasonable deal. When you think about it, can you blame them? Its been a long established that the league wants big markets in the Finals and even suspects to throw some calls that way favoring the big markets. - allegedly.

This is kind of looking like the revolt of the small markets in a way. And there are a lot more of them than the large ones. Maybe Stern let too many in. Some markets may not be able to turn a profit no matter what - or they may need a lot of revenue sharing to do it.
  15. Ernie the Slow Adult

It just dawned on me last night that the season would have already started and we'd be looking at out 1st TNT Thursday game this evening. Oh well.
  16. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

For a lot of people, NBA hoops is not even on their radar anymore. This league will suffer the consequences from this lockout as more and more fans lose interest. It is very sad, in my humble opinion.
  17. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I think that Roscoe should create game threads based on the '11/'12 schedule and we can comment on what we think would have happened. lee could post hypothetical lee-caps.
  18. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The game will come back. The die hards will come back. The casual fans will move on, but that's not a great loss for us, its a great loss for the owners and players.
  19. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Perhaps we could start a fantasy league and use the stats from the hypothetical lee-caps. I'm drafting Rodney White in the first round....
  20. max

max All-Star

Its hard to say how the fans will react. I do read the comments on ESPN articles and stuff and some people claim they do not care and yet they took the time to read the article and type out as comment saying they don't care. I think a lot of people are upset and rightly so. How that will translate - who knows.