2011 All-Stars thread

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Walter, Jan 31, 2011.

1. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Tru dat. Forgotten that the final round is based on voting from the fans, not points given by the judges. My bad.

Griffin could have just dunk the ball from just a simple vertical leap just under the rim and still win the competition.
  2. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I thought the dunk contest was tremendous. Ibaka did get robbed, Dr. J should be ashamed of himself.

Dwight Howard came off as kind of bitter during the contest also.
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

If you isolated the made dunks, I think they were about the best that I've ever seen in the aggregate.

They just need to protect the integrity of the event and keep it from jumping the shark. Jumping a car is close. Children acting might actually qualify... especially after the missed dunk where it takes a team 3 minutes to reinstall the teddy bear on the rubber connector... then the kid has to continue acting like he wants the teddy bear to come down? Man, that's lame.
  4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The Dunk Contest was in LA....it was Griffins to lose. His first dunk would have been a 50 if he had nailed the first time. The only way he would have lost is if he had been injured on the first dunk.

He indicated in today's paper that at first he was going to jump over both the choir and the car but then KIA indicated that if they were going to use their product for a prop, they couldn't have the choir members covering up the car.....:), so he & Kenny opted for just the car..

He is flying out tomorrow heading the OKCity to give the trophy to the family of the good friend who passed away on Wednesday
  5. LA Dre

I posted some of my pics from the All Star Celebrity game and JAM Session.

Click on the PF.com on Facebook link at the top of the page.
  6. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I wanted to choreograph a Dunk, juuuust never did it.
  7. LA Dre

Were me and Mrs Dre the only ones that noticed that Bill Russell had on the same no collar blue shirt tonight that he wore at the dunk contest last night and during the Prseidential freedom awards last week?
  8. LA Dre

LA's the Place

Looks like they are setting up Kobe for his 4th All-star MVP so that he can move ahead of Shaq..:sssh:..last night Blake Superior's night and tonight The Black Mamba..

and oh by the way...this is my 8000th post!!

:p_welldone::party:
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Seemed like some effort put into this game. It takes an ego like Kobe and an opposing ego like Lebron to make it a competitive bball game. You could tell that neither guy wanted the other one to win the game... and with it the MVP trophy.

I actually can't remember anyone trying as hard in the all-star game. Back in the day, I wasn't paying as much attention as I was just watching for Pistons players.
  10. LA Dre

It proves that Lebron is a player that is out there to win, whether it is an exhibition game or not. You see how he tried to rally the troops when they were down about 10-15 pts in the third. I think Kobe wanted to win the MVP more than win the game....he was at home and wanted make sure that Blake didn't get all of the home town accolades...he was his usual self taking 26 shots to get 37 pts.

Not to be out done, looks like Durant want to win the MVP himself to keep Kobe in sight for future MVP awards and atone for his embarrassing showing in the three point shoot out the night before.

Normally NBA all-star contests end up in alley-oop and dunking contest in the final 3 minutes, but this game like last years went down to the wire (the east won last year 141-139) and it more of a battle between Lebron and Durant that appears to be a preview for years to come with the west holding on to win.

Wade got hurt and did not play in the 4th qtr...Doc Rivers and Popovich saved a couple of their players with Garnett only playing a little over 7 minutes and Duncan only playing 11. Still not sure why Duncan made the team let alone started. LaMarcus Aldridge should have have had that spot.

With Wade sidelined, looks like Rivers went with the one-two punch of Lebron and Amare' down the stretch and kept D Howard on the bench...guess he was afraid that he would get fouled and blow a few free throws.

Good game
  11. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Probably the best all-star game I've seen since it had a little competition to it in the second half.
  12. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Only all-star game I watch now is the baseball classic. This game means a lot less to me since the absence of talented Piston players.
  13. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

They showed a photo of the had to give up his # Big Ben and the banished Rip Hamilton, C Billups and Rasheed Wallace for Thanks Dad Stuckey Pistons who made the '06 AS team during the game so there was that at least.
  14. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I've only watched a single all-star game; when the Detroit quartet were in there. It really is no different than a Harlem Globetrotters game IMO. Once you've seen one, you've seen 'em all.
  15. LA Dre

The announcers mentioned the Piston 2006 Piston quartet a couple times when comparing them to the Celtic quartet of yesterdays game.

The announcers even said our guys had a better showing even though Wallace X 2 combined to score only 2 pts... (Billups was the top Piston off the bench with 15 pts and Rip chipped in 6) They assisted the east in a comeback win where Lebron won the MVP.

We (Pistonfan.com) had no talent this year who was worthy of an all star appearance, but that was not going to stop me from watching the game. After taking Mrs. Dre to the game in Dallas last year, she was all into it this year yelling on every West miss down the stretch and was in awe as Lebron was able to race right through the west defenders as if all five were named Tay:sssh:

The only argument we had after the game was if Kobe deserved the MVP, or should if have gone to Durrant who scored 14 in the 4th to offset LeBrons 4th qtr takeover.
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Kobe was pretty unselfish in the 4th. To his credit, he started passing when started doubling him.
  17. LA Dre

He basically said that he ran out of gas in the 4th, and really had no legs or energy to duplicate his effort from the first three quarters. The only bucket he scored in the fourth was when the missed FT shot bounced back to him and he scored the hoop from right inside the FT line. That board added to his game high 10 offensive boards.
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Ah yes, the old mulligan. 10 O's is pretty good when DHo is on the other team.

Besides some very sloppy passing, Lebron looked very unstoppable last night. It's going to take a steel curtain to keep him away from the rim in the playoffs this year. The Celtics are the only ones who can pull it off I think.
  19. LA Dre

Some of those offensive boards were from his own shots falling short and he was the only one playing it serious in the first half following up and hustling... Once Lebron figured out what was going on it was already the 4th qtr and the east had to play catchup.

If Dwade can't stay injury free, the Heat will be ousted in the second or third round of the playoffs much to Lebron's chagrin...
  20. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Still happy I didn't watch the All Star Game. Seemed like a LA LA weekend to me...with all the winners predetermined. Kobe looked like the 3rd best choice for MVP from what I've read. The best Dunk was made by somebody who dunked 3 balls at once, not the LA LA newbie. And Justin Bieber winning MVP of the celebrity game...makes Los Angeles look like the sweetest thing this side of Heaven. Now I'm feeling sick...:puke: