MSU 2011-2012 Michigan State Spartans Football

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Darth Tater, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I knew they scheduled their own non-conference opponents (and the date and venue of those games), but I didn't know they decided WHEN they play their conference opponents.

That seems to me like an idiotic (NOT gutsy) move by the athletic director. I looked at the schedule and figured their season would be over after that gauntlet of games. But it makes me ill to think that the Spartans CHOSE to do it that way. They will be lucky to go 2-2. But it probably doesn't matter because they look pretty bad, anyhow.
  2. Darth Tater

Michigan State pounds central and then they beat their collective chests...for a week. Then...reality is back.

MSU 41

CMU 20
  3. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

So are some people thinking that once they form 4 superconferences then they can have a 2-round playoff system for the national championship?
  4. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

Good game today. 3-1 ...a nice start. :)
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I didn't know how it works, I just assumed that they had some say in it (since UofM always plays OSU for instance).

After googling, here is how it worked (before Nebraska was added):

The last one confuses me. What if they don't approve it?

Here is a full analysis of how it changes (or doesn't) with the addition of Nebraska:

Readjusting 2011 Big Ten football schedule won’t create many problems | TheGazette

I guess it wasn't gutsy, it was just some jerk computer!
  6. Nemo

I thought the schedule was determined with cigars and scotch, and some rock-paper-scissors.
  7. linwood

linwood All-Star

Completely agreed. I think 12 may be too many. A good conference really only has 4 true rivals, the rest are just pretenders to practice against. 10 is a good number, more than 12 is just marketing and revenue generation. I understand that schools want to make money, but I don't really want to watch.
  8. linwood

linwood All-Star

It should be.

If rock-paper-scissors isn't serious enough, drink some more scotch and settle it with a AD cage match.
  9. Darth Tater

You've got a mediocre Michigan State team that was pummeled by a mediocre Notre dame team. Would anyone be really surprised if they lose their next four games?

They might and probably will win one just for the heck of it, and to torture their fans with false hope, but this doesn't look very good.

@ Ohio St. (They aren't that good but either is MSU. Ohio State is at home). Nope. This is kind of a big game. MSU does well in the "kinda big games" so they could do it at home. Not on the road. They put on a decent show, but blow it in the 4th quarter. Choke. When was the last time "we" beat these guys?

Michigan (They aren't that good, but they beat Notre Dame which is more than Sparty can say). I think Sparty is going to take this one. U of M would win it if they were the home team. I think Sparty enjoys one final year of being the big brother. Really close game I think.

Wisconsin Very good team. Msu is at home. So what? Coming off the Michigan win, the Spartans think they are tough and have a chance to make something of their season. Too bad five (5) of their players are spending the weekend in jail. (My bet is on assaulting their own cheerleaders at a frat party or assaulting the U of M cheerleaders at a bar, (although they understandably did mistake the girls for players on the Wolverine's men's wrestling team) :stirthepot::pound:Afterward, Dantonio tells players "I've told you a hundred times this type of behavior is unacceptable and anyone violating the conduct code will be immediately kicked off the team permanently". I think the toughest team is Wisconsin. MSU handled them in the past. But MSU handled Notre Dame in the past too. Dantonio gets less conservative and passes on first down in one series. Despite that "trick play", MSU loses.

@ Nebraska (They seem pretty decent. The venue is corn country). Four of the suspended players are released from jail on Tuesday and reinstated the next day "because they are [STRIKE]starters [/STRIKE]good kids". The last kid [STRIKE] is a 3rd stringer[/STRIKE] is banished from MSU for life. Dantonio means business with this No Tolerance Policy!!

I doubt Sparty pulls one out at Nebraska. It IS Nebraska after all. Losing that 3rd stringer comes back to haunt Sparty and they get beaten soundly.
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

GO SPARTANS!!!
  11. linwood

linwood All-Star

Nice game from Sparty. Cousins made a few mistakes that allowed the Buckeyes a chance at the end.

Defense was on the field too long.
  12. Darth Tater

:pound::pound::pound: A few?????????????? Oh, man. Deer caught in the headlights. Great kid...but...I hope expectations aren't too high for this team.

One of the best defensive performances I've ever seen...from Sparty...or ANYONE. That play where he jumped over a guy to get the quarterback. Wow. I'm happy for those kids. They earned it.

Finally beat OSU. It easily could have been a blowout instead of a close score. Great road win.

Too bad they didn't get the goose egg.

Next week is the big one: Michigan and Kirk Cousins vs. Michigan State.:yellowprison: Notice how I put somebody's name in yellow.:cold:
  13. Nemo

It takes an intelligent person to notice that OSU actually had the ball for more time than MSU.

This game was genius by the MSU coach.

-Shut down OSU as bad as anybody has in the last 40 years.
    -Actually have your QB play bad so people think you're flawed at that position.
    -Give up a late score to draw less attention since 10-7 actually looks close.
    -Now, very few people will actually notice just how bad you humiliated those guys.

4-1... A very nice start to the season.
  14. Nemo

DARTH...

October 1-Ohio State Jim Tressel, Woody Hayes, Woody from our forum. It doesn't matter who the coach is or how messed up the Buckeyes are. They almost win this time but find a way to screw it up. LOSS

NEMO...

The early high ranking in the polls gives the Spartans the confidence to blow out the Buckeyes, who show up unprepared for their opponent--Win

Well...the Spartans weren't ranked, but the win was very convincing...

I'm very happy for the Spartans at this time. With a week off...they will be prepared for their next opponent..........

Glad to see your happiness for the Spartans. They're an excellent team....:)
  15. Darth Tater

:pound: Great perspective.

Now that they beat OSU, it changes my mind about the U of M game next week. Sparty won't win that one now.
  16. Nemo

I could view the game as puzzling, at best, but they won...and they're college kids.

I enjoyed the game simply cause OSU was so INEPT.....

I believe Michigan could go 10-0 heading into their last two weeks. They could also lose their next two games, which are on the road. I just don't know about Michigan yet. That's why I didn't predict their year. they play Northwestern...then MSU........
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Whatever, however, you guys beat OSU! Awesome.
  18. Darth Tater

[SARCASM]Yeah. Matt Millen actually pointed it out toward the end of the game. [/SARCASM]

I found it really irritating that he was in the booth. Insulting, but other than that, he is just plainly a moron.

I forgot MSU has a bye before playing U of M. So I will need to think on it more before a final prediction.
  19. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If only that defense had been in play when they went up against the Irish. I still think they went into that game over confident after seeing them struggle vs S Florida and Michigan with the defense and turnovers.

This should be an undefeated team..
  20. Nemo

A week off....then

Michigan at home....

Wisconsin at home....

Nebraska at Lincoln....

They win these three and it's time to think BCS BOWL Game....

I think they will...:stirthepot: