1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

MSU 2011-2012 Michigan State Spartans Football

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Darth Tater, Jun 27, 2011.

1. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

I think any playoff idea that includes more than 4 teams (essentially, the +1 idea) is terrible one. It's unnecessary, this isn't college basketball. The clamoring for a playoff feels less like a necessity and more like a ploy for more college football. The "don't lose" aspect of college football is what makes it so great and unique.

As a State alum but a UofM football fan, it'd be fantastic if they continued their success (albeit with some more losses to Michigan). But they seem like they'll be kind of up and down like Iowa.

2. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

A lot more downs than ups...........

3. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Good point. 16 would be a bit much. Somebody who wasn't really the best during the season could slip through and win it all. But I would think 8 rather than 4. With "only" the top 4, you probably would have the same problem as before, regarding who should get in.

Hold on...a State alum but a fan of U of M football??????????:mob-smiley2:

4. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

Haha, I wasn't going to abandon years of fandom just because I payed State my monies. Plus the Izzone! It sounds like I nitpicked the best teams of each but after Tractor and Mo Taylor left Michigan, I stopped watching.

5. Darth Tater

I've posted a lot about Cousins in the Eagles Thread, but since this concens Cousins and Seattle:

People are falling in love with this kid. Wjy didn't I appreciate him very much, and in fact blame him for everything, while he was on the Spartans? I know. i know. I should have listened to you guys.

I hope he kicks butt (but not for Dallas another NFC East tea. Not for New Englamd either.

I keep hoping I hear something concrete about Philadelphia being interested in him, but that for sure would be the kiss of death as far as the Eagles wanting him. They always do the unexpected on draft day. Always.

Anyhow, if Searttle does want him in the 2nd round they would get him over Philly who currently has two 2nd round picks (#'s 14 &19).

Several scouts have now pointed out that the Seahawks were particularly interested in and talked to the former Michigan State quarterback both Monday and Tuesday at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Alabama, and talk is beginning to heat up a bit at the idea of taking Cousins, potentially in round 2.

http://seattle.sbnation.com/2012/1/25/2731492/nfl-draft-2012-senior-bowl-qb-kirk-cousins-impresses

http://seahawksdraftblog.com/kirk-cousins-future-seahawks-quarterback

6. Darth Tater

It's early but this schedule looks really tough to me. I count 3 easy games. 2 maybes. 7 Toughies.

Full 2012 Michigan State Football Schedule

Friday, Aug. 31
    Boise State Broncos at Michigan State Boise State Kellen Mooreless but MSU loses Kirk Cousins. Boise State on the road but coach Peterson is very wise and crafty. This is the big game for Boise. Their first game always is. They also have won the last few. Toughie.
    Saturday, Sept. 8
    Michigan State at Central Michigan Chippewas CMU seems to have MSU's number. They finally get to play one at home. They will be ready.
    Saturday, Sept. 15
    Notre Dame Fighting Irish at Michigan State With this rivalry you never know.
    Saturday, Sept. 22
    Eastern Michigan Eagles at Michigan State Easiest game of the year one would think. Scary to think it is the first Gimmee.
    Saturday, Sept. 29
    Ohio State Buckeyes at Michigan StateMSU home. But Buckeyes are dangerous.
    Saturday, Oct. 6
    Michigan State at Indiana Hoosiers 2nd Easiest game of the year one would think
    Saturday, Oct. 13
    Iowa Hawkeyes at Michigan State Home sweet home. Another toughie.
    Saturday, Oct 20
    Michigan State at Michigan Michigan sick of losing. Does Brady turn it around?
    Saturday, Oct. 27
    Michigan State at Wisconsin Badgers Great series last year.
    Saturday, Nov. 3
    Nebraska Cornhuskers at Michigan State We got home this time. Will want revenge from last year. Will Sparty get it?
    Saturday, Nov. 10
    BYE WEEK
    Saturday, Nov. 17
    Northwestern Wildcats at Michigan State Probably Competitive but Sparty should pull it out.
    Saturday, Nov. 24
    Michigan State at Minnesota Golden Gophers Should not be too tough but MSU on the road.

7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

With MSU, Wisconsin, MSU, Iowa, and Nebraska all powerful and with Michigan seemingly back and OSU likely to be back, we have a very brutal conference. It doesn't help much when out of conference games are Boise State and Notre Dame (or Alabama in Michigan's case).

I either don't remember or I didn't appreciate this kind of parity in the past.

8. Nemo

Parity is becoming a rarity........

9. Darth Tater

This is cool. A little kid standing up for her rights. I would hope that a teacher in Michigan who was a fan of either MSU or U of M would handle it more appropriately.

As reported in detail at Lost Lettermen and the Kansas City Star, 5-year-old Emma Burton of Olathe, Kan., refused to participate in a class coloring assignment when she and her classmates were told to color in a Jayhawk, the mascot of the University of Kansas. The coloring exercise was part of the kindergarten class' celebration of the state of Kansas.
    However, Emma wouldn't comply with her teacher's instructions. Instead...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highs...n-refuses-color-jayhawk-mascot-170922025.html

http://bug-bytes.net/2012/01/28/emma-got-in-trouble-at-school/

10. Nemo

Darth Tater likes this.
  11. Darth Tater

12. Darth Tater

13. Nemo

14. Darth Tater

I'm really rooting for him. I've always liked him as a kid (like most everyone), but as you know, I scapegoated him for any problem the team had. Obviously that was unfair. I am still praying the Eagles decide they want a quarterback and draft him for the future. Honestly, I'm not sure he will make it in the pros, but he just might.I'm also not sure he could make it in Philly. The fans are animals.

He very well may end up in Seattle. That's probably the best spot for him. The crowd will be behind him, I think it's a great city for his personality type to thrive in, and he can earn a starting gig pretty quick and replace Tavaris Jackson.

15. Nemo

I did predict stardon for Tom Brady many years ago. After personally watching him at the Big House, I knew he would become a Star.........

I will go on record as stating that the team that drafts Kirk Cousins will have similar results.
    He will eventually make is mark in the NFL and become a top 12 QB starter..........
    Philly won't draft him though......he'll go to NE or the 49ers.

16. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

Similar to what you THOUGHT Brady would do, or what he actually did?

No way Cousins can live up to what Brady has done... (top 3-5 QB of all time)

17. Darth Tater

Those are some small-BIG shoes to fill. Not too many people are going to be capable of wearing those.

18. Nemo

I predicted for Cousins that he would be a top 12 QB during his playing time in the NFL. I really think he'll be a star in that regard. This is what I also predicted for Brady when he was drafted in the 6th round. Most thought he would never see the playing field. What Brady actually achieved went far beyond my prediction. the attainment of superstardom and an all-time great.

19. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

OK, just wanted to make sure I understood what you predicted... because if you saw Brady as an all time top 5 QB, and now saw the same for Cousins.... I wanted you to pick my lottery tickets this weekend... :D

20. Darth Tater