MSU 2011-2012 Michigan State Spartans Football

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Darth Tater, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Youngstown State was better than I gave them credit for before the game but this was a poor performance by the Michigan State team.

On June 27th I predicted

"September 2- Youngstown State-Come on. This isn't Michigan vs. Appalachian State. Scrimmage time. WIN"

I was wrong. Youngstown State never really had much of a chance to win that game, but Sparty was lucky to be up14-6 at the half. They didn't look up for the game. I didn't expect them to be, but thought it would be a laugher regardless.

On June 27th I also predicted Sparty would be a 7-5 team. They will struggle for THAT based on yesterday. I still think 7-5.

Over rated. They will play better than this later on. They need to.

There were some positives but this sort of effort and play will not win too many Big Ten games. Very disappointing.

After this poor sloppy effort, I think they will take it out on Florida Atlantic next week. Had they blown out Youngstown, I think Florida would have done to them what Youngstown did today.

Still it was a 28-6 win. It counts. Probably shouldn't. But it does. Pretty much every team schedules these games. Boise does it year round. :gun1:

Tonight I want to see a Boise State loss to Georgia. Possible, but I doubt it.

#14 TCU losing to Baylor was cool. Boise State won't get as much credit later in the year when they beat TCU in the home game they stole from them.

I'd rather see BSU lost than Meechigan lose. Except when MSU plays Meechigan, of course. :stirthepot::)

If Sparty loses to Meechigan this year and then loses to Boise AND Meechigan next year, then Sparty is going to join the Lions on the "teams I used to root for list".:pound::icon_evil: :pound::stirthepot: My Spartan jersey is literally going in the garbage. The most important one to me is beat Boise. Lose to Michigan twice...but beat Boise State!!!!!! You guys just don't know what it is like living here and listening to these idiots...:lalala::lalala::lalala:. At least Michigan would beat some real competition year round.

2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

3. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Too much...

[​IMG]

IN THIS THREAD>>>

4. Nemo

team stats looked good...

-starting QB completes 18 of 22 and a TD...

-lots of running backs play averaging over 5 yards per carry...

Defense on the field too long, The D always takes longer to refine...

5. Darth Tater

We are talking Youngstown State. Not Wisconsin. Not Notre Dame.

Not even U of M.:stirthepot:

It's fun to beat up on the little guys. That being said...

Cousins was impressive. The defense WAS on the field too long. The running game has yet to show what we can expect from it.

MSU did what it had to do. Can you imagine what Boise State will do to them next year in the first game if MSU plays like it did against Youngstown?

Western Michigan? Youngstown State? Please.

Coaching: C
    Cousins: A-
    Defense: C
    Offense: B-

6. Nemo

Your coach is smart. He played a smart game. He wasn't worried about burying the little guy. Your coach had things he wanted to try out. Your game was a success. What OSU did their first game was not impressive. They also needed to try different things. Instead, they were worried about image and votes in the poll...so they clobbered their opponent.

I really love your coach. MSU got it right........

7. Darth Tater

That's a very good point on the coach. I never looked at it from that perspective. Maybe you are right.

BUT...he is too conservative and I think the MSU offense will suffer as a result of offensive coordinator Treadwell leaving.

MSU actually did much better with him at the helm when coach Dantonio was out due to his medical issues.

8. Nemo

Remember that the 11-1 record last season was the best in MSU history.
    People seem to be forgetting that MSU has been credited this season with having the best talent in the league...

9. BillLaimbeer

Wisconsin, Nebraska, and Ohio State are all ranked higher than MSU. Penn State is right there, too.

10. Nemo

You're correct Bill, but if MSU had experience returning on their lines...they'd get the nod...based on talent...Their lines are a big question for most...right now..

11. BillLaimbeer

The games are won and lost in those trenches....at least that's what they say on TV....

12. Nemo

Their first big test will be against OSU. They recruited gorillas to play on their lines...
    If MSU had those lines that OSU has, they'd win it all...

13. BillLaimbeer

I remember seeing some of those guys in the Ohio State preseason drills.
    [​IMG]

14. Darth Tater

A nearly flawless victory. No complaints from me. We will see how they do against the real teams very soon.

That Maxwell guy, the backup quarterback, scares me. But that is hopefully not a worry until next year.

October is brutal. @ Nebraska and Ohio State. Michigan and Wisconsin @ home. I guess you hope for 2-2 and call it good (as long as Michigan is in our win column) :stirthepot:.

U of M has such a relatively easy schedule. Luck of the draw. They should prosper this year.

15. BillLaimbeer

I would be very happy with a 2-2 record in October. The Notre Dame game is huge. Going 3-0 into October is a must.

16. Nemo

This team is from the Sun Belt Conference, or as we like to call it. The Hostess Conference. All of those teams have lost their initial games except for FIU. One school is called Chipped Beef State. I just hope that MSU just didn't show up to blow them off the map...that they continue to experiment and play players for the experience...

By the way...MSU will go 3-1 in October. :)

17. Darth Tater

Agreed. MSU is a lot better than Notre Dame, in my opinion (has anyone else in forum history ever actually typed that phrase out?). But I would not be at all surprised if Notre Dame won that game. I don't think they are very good though, and I've said so all along. But they are out for revenge, it is in South Bend, and we are talking Michigan State, after all. I wish I had nemo's confidence in them.

I really think Michigan will beat Notre Dame today without much trouble if the Michigan's defense just shows up.

Too bad Toledo missed that field goal earlier in the game. OSU doesn't look all that great.

18. Nemo

An unusual game as OSU needed breaks to actually win this one. Toledo had 100 yards in penalties vs 13 for OSU. OSU also had a return for a TD. Toledo kept making bonehead mistakes or they woulda won....

Toledo had more yards, first downs, and TOP.......:cold:

19. detteam

detteam All-Star

Missed the entire game today (stuck at work) but I don't think for a second they were just running-up the score. That's not Dantonio's style.

20. Nemo

I'd have to agree. Dantonio is too classy...