MSU 2011-2012 Michigan State Spartans Football

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Darth Tater, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

September 2- Youngstown State-Come on. This isn't Michigan vs. Appalachian State. Scrimmage time. WIN

September 10-Florida Atlantic- this one is tougher but no contest. WIN

September 17- @ Notre Dame- Sparty always beats Notre Dame. They march into South Bend and really show what they are made of and what we can expect this season. LOSS

September 24- Central Michigan Sparty always gets beat by Central Michigan. Not this time. WIN

October 1-Ohio State Jim Tressel, Woody Hayes, Woody from our forum. It doesn't matter who the coach is or how messed up the Buckeyes are. They almost win this time but find a way to screw it up. LOSS

October 15- Michigan You never know with this one. Always tough to predict. But it's at home and MSU is coming off a bye. Michigan still needs to prove it belongs. WIN

October 22-Wisconsin Sparty is euphoric over last week's win. Badger's want revenge from last year. Badger time. LOSS

October 29-@ Nebraska Back on the road. It doesn't help. The Corn huskers show the Spartans that their boys are as big and tough as Wisconsin's. LOSS

November 5-Minnesota Sparty should win this easily and they do. WIN

November 12-@ Iowa The Spartans look for two in a row. MSU wants to avenge last year's loss. Not happening. Nobody wins in Iowa. Seems like we were just there. Back to .500. Time to panic. Loss

November 19-Indiana The Spartans look past Indiana. No matter. Indiana isn't very good. WIN

November 26-@ Northwestern This Spartans better not look past these guys. Close game. WIN

Regular Season record 7-5. Sparty sweats but gets a bowl. Big Deal. I'll hold off on predicting the loss.

Disclaimer: But wait for nemo's predictions if you really want to know what to expect. :)

2. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

The Spartans Defeat Penn State in the first Big Ten Championship game...dubbed the "Wolverine Bowl"...

They defeat Stanford in the Rose Bowl

SPARTANS finish 13-1, with their only loss being against MICHIGAN...

Darth Tater claims the season a waste......:)
  3. Nemo

Spartans preview...by Yahoo Sports...

SPOTLIGHT TEAM: Michigan State

The Spartans aren't the popular preseason pick, but coach Mark Dantonio has the pieces to drive MSU to the top of a conference in which the perennial favorites are running at the front. In fact, Michigan State's biggest hurdle is very likely to come from newcomer Nebraska. The Spartans will have to win in Lincoln to make 2011 truly special.

Spartans to know:

LB Denicos Allen
    A heat-seeking missile of a tackler who might learn he's a superstar if he plays under control.

CB Johnny Adams
    A three-year starter, he could make a case as the top cover cornerback in the conference.

RB Edwin Baker
    Putting modesty in his back pocket, Baker touts his 2011 goals proudly: 2,000 rushing yards and 21 touchdowns. The Spartans, who'll spread the wealth at the running back position, aren't likely to give him the ball that much but would take 1,500 and 15.

QB Kirk Cousins
    If the Spartans' Rose Bowl visions are realistic, it'll mean Cousins has grown into a legit NFL prospect in his third year as a starter. With depth at wide receiver, the accurate if underrated signal-caller can exceed expectations if the overhauled o-line doesn't collapse.

WR B.J. Cunningham
    Might lack the flash of senior Keshawn Martin, but Cunningham, back from a broken foot suffered vs. Alabama, dominated the Big Ten (seven TDs) in 2010.

OLT Dan France
    Converted defensive lineman flashes skills in spring practice. When the lights come on, is he ready for the challenge of the Big Ten's top pass rushers?

DE William Gholston
    One-time top recruit enters his sophomore season brimming with potential. At 6-7, 267, he's more imposing than cousin and former first-round pick Vernon Gholston (Ohio State).

DT Jerel Worthy
    The anchor of the defense and a potential top-20 NFL draft pick in 2012, Worthy could have a big year with massive defensive ends and former top recruits Tyler Hoover and William Gholston helping collapse the pocket.
  4. Nemo

5. Darth Tater

Somehow, I missed this post. Thanks for sharing good info, fishy man.
  6. detteam

detteam All-Star

7. Nemo

8. Nemo

9. Darth Tater

10. Darth Tater

Yeah. I agree. Great kid.

He also beats arch rival Michigan. Too bad about the bowl games. Losing is getting really old. But honestly, I would rather beat Michigan than win a bowl game if given a choice.

Oh, I received my Sports Illustrated a couple of days ago and was shocked to see Sparty ranked as their #13 team. No way they deserved that ranking, IMO. They just aren't that good.
  11. Nemo

I'd rather win a Bowl Game than worry about MSU. Always have felt that way. Most seasons...I rate the Bowl game more important than any single regular season game. The OSU game matters if we're both ranked in the top ten polls wise, or if we're tied for the Big Ten Lead....

I am curious why Darth Tater...an Avid MSU fan...has more posts in the Michigan thread than in the MSU thread. He's a closet Wolverine Fan....:)
  12. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

It's the biggest day of the year for Sparty but it's just another saturday for the Wolverines. :stirthepot:
  13. Darth Tater

:) I knew somebody would say that. I think it is partially true.

I think that historically it HAS been a much bigger game for Sparty than it was for U of M. However, it doesn't mean that it wasn't also extremely important to U of M. It wasn't just another Saturday. U of M looked to OSU as the big challenge for the Big Ten title in most years but they knew they had better beat the Spartans (which admittedly, they usually did).

Things have changed all over the college landscape. U of M has been a pretty lousy team over the last few years. A lousy team with a very rich history (of winning the Big Ten but there bowl history left much to be desired). It's a big game for Sparty now just like it was a big game for U of M a few years ago. If Sparty challenges for the title, the Nebraska game is our Ohio State. The one that could stop a title run.

I told you, I would rather beat U of M because I can't stand them. That's just me. I can't speak for the Spartan Nation.

Let's admit it.The Big Ten is really physical, but they usually weren't able to hold their own against the better teams in other conferences. So really, I don't think any of us can really talk too much crap.
  14. Nemo

Both OSU and Michigan have losing records in Bowl games over the last 40 years. OSU is like 0-7 against the SEC in Bowl games during that time.

[STRIKE]
    I believe the reason for our losing is that the other schools put their players on a steriods only diet til the Bowl game.
    [/STRIKE]

I know that Michigan attracts the top schools when they play a Bowl Game. Many times the other team is simply better. I was at both Rose Bowls when we recently lost to SoCal and Texas...and those schools were really good....but yet, we were in both games.
  15. detteam

detteam All-Star

16. Darth Tater

I didn't realize until a couple of days ago that the Spartan's first game is this week (Thursday). I'm excited for the start of the season, but I'm not expecting much.

http://www.pistonsforum.com/lions-f...higan-state-spartans-football.html#post273912

The game Thursday is against the Youngstown State Penguins.

Penguins? Isn't that hockey? I mean WTF??? Penguins!!!

Games like these should not even count. Nothing more than a scrimage. Every big team schedules them but they are a joke. The small schools agree to be lead to the slaughter to make some cash.

Michigan State favored by 34 points. If I'm betting, I'm giving the points. It's over by halftime. Shame on MSU. My guess is 45-10.

If i can get the game on television I will put on my Spartan jersey and cheer for them and have a lot of fun watching.

But afterwards people will be all excited about how good they look. Big Deal. It's just like an exhibition NFL football match. It gives you a glimpse but they aren't going to reveal their "real" plays.

I really like Kirk Cousins. He is a good quarterback and a super kid. I wish him the very best. But you know what, let's see him not get that deer caught in the headlights look in the biggest games (like Iowa for the Big Ten title or Alabama in the Bowl).

Same thing with U of M Denard Robinson is a very good player, but once he hit real competition he wasn't making any Heisman poses or winning any games. He will rush for two touchdowns and throw three touchdown passes against Western (Michigan is only favored by 14 but will win by at least 28) I'm guessing 56-7. People are going to be bragging about the great defense and shoelace. What will Denard do against Wisconsins, Michigan States and Nebraskas?

Enjoy these games. It is going to be fun. Like watching Madden 2012. Both teams play a real game against Notre Dame before the actual season starts although Sparty is always good to take an arse whipping from Central Michigan (but not this...I think).

The real games start when the Big Ten season starts!!!
  17. Nemo

I've predicted a 13-1 record. (actually...it would be 12-1)

You seem to be going with 7-6 (including bowl loss)

You're figuring on a let down from last season...not believing that the team really had 11-1 talent last season...

I'm figuring that the Spartans are loaded and ready to play in their first BCS game...

Good luck with your prediction Darth...
  18. Darth Tater

Well fishy guts,

You are much better at predicting seasons than I am. I love it when you see great things for Michigan State. Last year you were exactly right. You called every game perfectly. I honestly really figured you joking around. Amazing .

I also thought you were crazy and trying to curse them last year. I'm still not sure you AREN'T crazy and trying to curse them.:pound:

I hope you are right...NO...it's not worth a loss to the Maize and Blue.:stirthepot::MusicBigGrin:

MSU has no backup quarterback. Their road schedule is the worst in the Big Ten.

They're a good team, I think. But no way they do what you predict. That team calls plays like clockwork.

1st down...run

2nd down...run

3rd and long...pass

It seems like they do it every single time.

I hope you are right with your predictions.
  19. Nemo

The Back-up QB is Andrew Maxwell: Ratings out of High School..........

Tom Lemming's Prep Football Report and PrepStar All-American . . . ranked among the nation's top pro-style quarterbacks by Rivals.com (No. 9) . . . rated among the country's top drop-back quarterbacks by Max Emfinger Recruiting (No. 18) . . . listed among the nation's top quarterbacks by Scouts, Inc. (No. 18)

He's also an Academic achiever...He's deceptively good...

I don't think that I'll be perfect this season, but I fully expect a memorable year for MSU.

I HAVE been told by some that I'm crazy, so that's not far fetched.

I enjoy it when MSU is successful...no jinx here.

The only time I curse is when I get underdone bacon in a restaurant...:yukpuke:

[​IMG]
  20. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It's 14-6 in the 3rd quarter. Your prediction was close....NOT!