2011-12 Michigan State University Basketball

Discussion in 'Other Hoops Talk' started by detteam, Oct 13, 2011.

1. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Michigan's reaction to winning/sharing their first Big 10 title since 1986...
  2. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

Big Ten tourney starts Thursday. MSU is #1 seed, UM #2, OSU #3, and Wisconsin is #4.........

Top 4 get a first round bye. Action for us starts next Friday at home.......

Michigan gets the Northwestern - Minnesota winner.

MSU gets the Iowa - Illinois winner.

Right now.................looks like MSU and OSU are #2 seeds in the tourney. Michigan is #3...........

I'd suggest to MSU - OSU that they don't take this Big Ten tourney lightly..........

They could fall behind Michigan in seeding....................
  3. Nemo

A week ago.........Sparty is up by 2 games. they lose their last two Big Ten games.
    I hope Izzo can pull these guys out of their rut...........
    Seeing the big guy shoot around 30% (6-21) against OSU had to hurt..........
  4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I don't think MSU is in a rut. They lost to a top 20 team on the road and then they lost by 2 points to the #11 team in the country.

It's brutal to battle through the Big Ten season. MSU will be fine.
  5. detteam

detteam All-Star

Way to stay classy, Nemo. Losing Branden Dawson to a torn ACL in the 1st half certainly didn't help the cause.

Gonna be tougher to win the BTT and/or make it past the Sweet 16 without Dawson. But if anyone can help pull it off it's Big Ten Coach of the Year Izzo and his on-floor coaching protégé, Big Ten Player of the Year and NCAA First Team All-American, Draymond Green...also named to the Big Ten All-Defensive team.
  6. Nemo

I didn't see the game nor was aware of the injury....
    I also never claimed to always be classy.........
    Still.........MSU will be formidable in the Tourney.
    Hopefully.........Michigan gets to see you guys in the final 4.
  7. Nemo

MSU will either face Illinois or Iowa. Illini beat MSU in their only meeting holding MSU to barely 40 points in the game. Iowa to me is a dark horse in the Big Ten Tourney, as they have been hot lately and have a scoring machine who could light it up against a formidable foe.

The guard play at MSU needs to step it up for them to be successful...especially Appling who needs to start shining. Too much pressure is being placed on Green to be the superstar each game. An Izzo coached team normally shows much more team balance.............

I will be saddened if OSU wins this tourney. Michigan may have to be the ones to stop them...........again.
  8. Nemo

Montana beat Weber St. to win the regular season title. Beat em by 14 points when it mattered.
    In the Big Sky Tourney, they meet again. Weber St. jumps to a 5 point halftime lead........
    Weber St. is 19-1 this season when leading at the half.............
    Montana outscored them 54-30 in the second half. Beat em by 19 points when it mattered.
    They've punched their ticket.....................

I really wanna see Montana get MSU in the first round.
    A #2 seed against a #15 seed.

Montana is a shooting team.........like Michigan.
    Their star is a guard named Kareem Jamar........no sky hook here though..........

With such an impressive win.........Maybe Montana moves up to as high as a 13th seed.........
    linwood likes this.
  9. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

MSU wins tournaments.If they make it to the sweet 16, we will start paying attention.

It's so nice that you're excited that Michigan made it this year. That NIT stuff was probably getting old.Plus you got to split the Big Ten championship with MSU. What an awesome year for U of M. Does the basketball team get automatic points at the beginning of each game like the football team does? It's only fair that they do. Wouldn't want to play favorites.

Montana. What State is that located in? Is that a division III school? Are they on Michigan's football schedule next year? Is that why you are so pumped up about them. I don't blame you. I heard Montana almost beat Appalaichan State a couple years ago. Just like Michigan.

Good thing Michigan only plays home games each year because I don't think they could find Montana.
  10. linwood

linwood All-Star

I haven't watched any Montana games this season. I did watch Oregon vs. Colorado last week. Ugly, man, ugly. Both teams played hard. And both teams played poorly.

I love the pros, but I also love local ball. I think if you only watch the pro game, the local college teams might seem, well, amateurish. The flip side is that watching the local teams and college ball gives you a greater appreciation of what it takes to make the pro level.
  11. Nemo

I like watching the smaller conferences play their tourneys'. They know that most likely the winner of the tourney will be the only one invited to the NCAA's. Some of these conferences will get in 6 or 8 teams, which makes the conference tourney less exciting.

Montana played Weber St. Weber features the best FT team in the NCAA shooting 81% as a team.
    Their lead scorer is 2nd in the nation in PPG, averaging 25 points. This guy, Damien Lillard also shoots 88% from the FT line. To bury that kind of a team in the 2nd half was very exciting for me and all the Montana fans.
  12. linwood

linwood All-Star

Wow, shooting 81% FT as a team is pretty impressive!

I like watching the local schools too. When I lived in Ypsilanti, I went to several Eagles games, where I got to watch the unbelievable Earl Boykins tear it up.

The last few years here in Seattle I got to watch the new Isaiah Thomas play for the Huskies. He's incredibly good, but very small. I never thought he would make it to the pros... should have known better after watching Earl. Isaiah is tearing it up off the bench for the Kings right now.
  13. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Did all of you gather at Buffalo Wild Wings to watch the game?
    linwood likes this.
  14. Nemo

Hooligans Sports Bar has the HUGE screen........we all gathered there..........

http://www.hooliganssportsbar.com/
  15. Nemo

Big Ten tourney features UM - OSU and Wisconsin - MSU..........as it should be.

See you MSU guys in the championship game.... :)
  16. Nemo

A very meaningful game for the Wolverines today.

#10 Michigan plays #7 Ohio State..........

Basically, the pundits have already awarded the Buckeyes the Big Ten tourney.

They're now listed as a #1 seed in the NCAAs, based on some upset losses in other conference tourneys.

I know MSU will bust up the buckeyes if they somehow meet in the Big Ten finals.........

Don't look for MSU to have to contend with OSU this tourney............

Wolverine NATION will stand tall...................UM 83 - OSU 77

MICHIGAN - Go Blue........
  17. Nemo

Congrats to MSU for making the Big Ten championship game...first time since 2000.

Michigan is losing to OSU with 10 minutes left. They're shooting .250 for the game right now.
    Shots attempted, assists, and rebounds all look equal. With such cold shooting like that out of UM, I gotta figure that OSU is doing a better job of shooing away the penguins that are on the court. OH well.......I was hoping that MSU would win this tourney........I want them as our #1 seed.
  18. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The announcers are questioning how Michigan even tied for the conference title....me too....but to be fare, that OT game probably took a lot out the Wolverines last night...Trey Burke played the whole game.

The refs didn't help either calling some questionable charges and travel calls at the beginning that shook the Wolverines confidence. Sulinger took Morgan completely out of his game as the dude missed a couple bunny/dunks and shot an air ball from 2 feet on the right side of the hoop.

Whoever the Wolverines match up with in the tournament, just needs to view todays tape to possibly hope that they can upset Michigan. Let's hope the tournament doesn't match Michigan State or Michigan up with a first round game with Detroit Mercy
  19. Darth Tater

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Oh man...KARMA!!!!!!!!!!!!! U of M CRUSHED!

nemo, You laughed at MSU for losing by a couple of points to OSU the other day after our guy got hurt.

Now YOUR boys lose to the same team a couple of days later? By 22!!!!! All that smack. Rich! No wonder you laughed at MSU...sharing the Big Ten Title with U of M IS laughable. :rofl:

MSU wins tomorrow or loses. I will get excited if they go sweet 16...AGAIN. I very much doubt it butI don't care very much, to be honest. This time of year is so much fun, anyhow.
  20. Darth Tater

Game over in 5 minutes? Seriously? Maybe Michigan (and certain fans of theirs) celebrated too much too early, eh, you Big Eye Mouthbrooder?

Is OSU THAT good...or is Michigan THAT bad?

Winner of Sparty vs. OSU game maybe gets the #1 seed. The two best Big Ten teams made it to the final of the tournament. As it should be.

My gut...OSU wins...but NOT by 22 points! :MusicBigGrin::roll:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recap?gid=201203100357