2010 FIBA World Championships

Discussion in 'Other Hoops Talk' started by webz, Aug 20, 2010.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Billups was definitely ball hawking on defense. It looked like the kind of defense that would get you into a fight at the Y.
  2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

He certainly gambles a lot on defense...something that can get you in trouble if you don't have someone (like Ben Wallace) behind you cleaning up your mistakes.
  3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

4. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Turkey in the semis!

Yeeeah baby!

Turkey beat Slovenia by 27 points. They dominated the game almost from start to finish. First time ever for Turkey in the semis. They face Serbia on Saturday.

The Serbia-Spain game was awesome where Serbia won it with a 3 pointer with 3.1 seconds to go. Great composure by the Serbs running out the clock before they made the shot. It was an awesome shot from way out. Way past the NBA 3pt line.

Tomorrow USA faces Russia and Lithuania plays [STRIKE]Scola[/STRIKE]Argentina.
  5. Walter

The semis are set

Team USA beat Russia 89-79 today. The Russians shot better, and got more rebounds, but USA took care of the ball while piling up 14 steals. Durant led the team with 33 points. The game was close in the first half but USA pulled away with a strong 3rd quarter.

In the other quarterfinal game today, Lithuania showed no mercy for Argentina. They limited Scola to just 13 points. They built a 20 point lead in the first half and built on that in the 3rd. Argentina made a rally in the 4th, but the deficit was just too big.

The two will play on Saturday followed by Turkey-Serbia. The winners are playing in the final on Sunday.
  6. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Considering the size difference...I thought we rebounded well against the REDwoods.

[​IMG]
  7. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Very impressive game with great defence rotation and great coaching. I commended three things that had won this game : intense defence, adjustment and discipline which have long disappeared from Team USA nor NBA games. Might be the last time it was 2004 Finals, yeah they were in blue, white & red too.

No matter how far this USA team will go this summer, glad that youngsters got precious opportunities to play crucial international games in early stage of their career and time can tell how they will benefit.
  8. Walter

The grueling schedule and single-game elimination format is a great growing experience for these kids. It's like playing back-to-back game 7s. I expect many of these kids will come back with more confidence and play better.
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Plus they are all learning from Chauncey Billups about professionalism.
  10. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

He's bringing that cerebral touch to team USA.
  11. brofmfa

Congrats to Team USA.

Old as I am, can't remember when was the last time to wake up at 02:30am to watch a live bball game on TV like I did this morning. I did it because their youth, their focus, their approach into this tournament had made them a very special team which worth to love, to watch and to root for.

CB, the oldest guy among them, was steady-handed as anticipated. He gotta appreciate Joe for trading him to Denver because he will never be there in Intanbul had he stayed with the Pistons. Thought that Joe was the one who send private congrat to CB at first time and CB said thanks to Joe for Joe had paved him to peak, twice.

Watching the team jumped in huddle on the sideline as the clock ran down was an amazing great picture. Hey you guys have brough Coach K & Co. a big dilemma, which team is going to London, A or B ?
  12. Walter

Wow, what a tournament. I got what I hoped for in a Turkey-USA final. :MusicBigGrin:

USA won easily. The Turks seemed to have already accepted the loss even before the game started, but USA played some fantastic defense. It wouldn't have mattered even if every single player on the Turkish side was on fire. Oh, and yes. Team USA had this guy called Kevin Durant.

Durant has arrived. If he keeps this up, he'll become a better player than he who shall not be named. As a matter of fact, you can even make that argument already. It'll be a lot of fun watching him fight it out with Kobe in the Western Conference this year.
  13. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

don't get me wrong but as having seen the Championships I have to say something;
    1. Team USA wasn't playing good basketball. They're primarily athletes that can play some ball. There are some exceptions (most notably Durant, but also CB, Kevin Love, Stephen Curry, Mike Miller) that really know how to play ball. But guys like Iguodola are obviously more athletes than players. And these muscles haven't come naturally. That way, Team USA was able to dominate the boards and just dribble past defenders.
    2. and that is far worse - at least some players of Team USA are obviously using steroids. It's not only the workout and/or genes that make them being that much stronger and more athetic. If there wouldn't be roids, why shouldn't they accept to be tested? Maybe this isn't true and they accepted the tests but as far as I know, this was the condition under which they accepted to participate.

Iguodola is the best example:
    [​IMG]

That is also why they participated under the condition that their player won't be checked in terms of steroids and all that stuff.
    3. and as a conclusion: this wasn't fair. It was fun to watch, it was good team basketball. Also, watching Durant and some others was just a great show of individual talent. But this wasn't a fair tournament. A fair tournament would include all teams being able to use roids or none. I think the TEAM USA would win it with different conditions as well or at least have a very good chance - at least they's be force to do something different than going one on one on every occasion.
  14. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Now there's a wild accusation. All three of your points are the same: You claim the US team won because they are on steroids and because they didn't have to be tested. Do you have any sources to back up your claims?

FIBA says drug testing program its largest ever - NBA - Yahoo! Sports
  15. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Ralphi, I just can't buy it. At least in part.

True, Team USA doesn't play very pretty basketball. They don't play together enough, don't have the country based team mentality. USA Basketball is trying to change that, but it's tough. Nobody wants to play a full game of the in-your-face defense that most international teams play. The NBA and FIBA are just different games. The college game in the U.S. was a better match stylewise.

But I don't buy the steroid thing. Some guys, maybe a couple, though the league also does drug tests, as well as FIBA, and I just don't accept a league-wide conspiracy to hide it all. Iguodala doesn't look like a guy on steroids to me - he sure doesn't have the Sosa/McGuire neck - he looks more like a guy who has gotten consistently bad advice over the years on how to weight train. I imagine Kander just shaking his head every time he sees Andre. I don't see any evidence to support what you say. What I see is guys who have been weight training since they were ten, without much of an idea how to do it.

Is it a fair game? Maybe, maybe not. The NBA is the most advanced professional league in the world and if individual skills were the measure of goodness would win every time out. And they play in a league with rules and a gentleman's agreement to designed to showcase individual skills. The European leagues will come around to that POV sooner or later, but right now they don't have the players top to bottom to pull that off. What we see now is a reversal of the old US amateurs versus the state teams of the Soviet block. Then they were the pros, now we are.

The average NBA team would beat the average team from any other world league right now. And a team drawn from the best players across 300 million people will be better than one drawn from 30 million. As long as FIBA is country versus country it will be inequitable.
  16. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

So you honestly want to tell me that Gred Oden, who entered the league looking like a 35 year old and being banged up is just a natural phenomena?
    Alonzo Mourning was simply having bad kidneys for no apparent reason? Lebron James just happened to look like 30 when he was 19? I really do believe that this whole thing starts quite early and affects all professional leagues. It starts in high school and ends in the NBA.
    I've lived in the US and spent some time at a high school in California - and the attitude towards assisting is very different from over here. From what I saw, you get alot of stuff legally that would be forbidden in europe - prohormones or testosterone for isntance (and I am NOT saying that this is bad thing), your doctors seem to hand out medicines faster and so on. The whole attitude towards chemical stuff is different.
    I'm not saying that every player is using stuff on a extreme level. But this league certainly isn't drug-free. You don't look like many of these guys simply by having "good genes" and eating healthy.
    Look, the thing is that it's almost impossible to practice, rest and play 82 games at the highest imaginable level in such a short period as it happens in the NBA without any help - especially if you're a bulky player you're hardly able to play almost 40 minutes at the highest level. A body needs to rest as well and during the regular season, you don't get any rest. Muscles like those of Dwight Howard need alot of air you know.
    Just what I see; I simply wonder how you look or jump like some of these guys and why there are no Europeans (and never have been) with a comparable athleticism. It's not as if teams wouldn't start their programs with their youngest kids - how come that there has never been a european player (or take every other country - Brazil, Angola, Argentina, Angola and so forth) that has come only close to the athleticism of the US players? Do you think they don't send their guys into the weight room? And even if they don't do it as much, it would be becaue too many muscles don't go well with stanima.
    One last thing; it's not only about the muscles - you don't take stuff to look like Hulk (only). You can use it to improve your stanima, your springiness and so on without becoming Hulk - that's why the neck isn't telling you anything.
    Don't get me wrong; I do acknowledge that these guys are very, very good players. But I highly doubt that LBJ, Dwight Howard, Dwayne Wade or Iguodola have become these (athletic) monsters just by eating their spinach.
  17. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Because the athleticism of us europeans suck.
  18. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The US has more than half the population of all of Europe and has been financially incentivizing the development of basketball skills for way longer than the rest of the world. If basketball historically had been as popular in Europe as it is here and the US had to compete as 25 separate geographic countries, the disparity in athleticism and talent would be much smaller.

It's just laughable to me that you would pick the NBA of all sports to lambast for being full of steroids. Have you SEEN Kevin Durant? That guy OUGHT to be on steroids in my opinion. :MusicBigGrin:
  19. brofmfa

This is a serious accusation, if you're serious, show us the source please.
  20. brofmfa

No intrigue offense Xs & Os, just a roster deep enought to afford to play quick defensive rotation thru out the game and attacking the other end by individual talent. It might be the best way so far for NBA players to compete in international games.