2008 Red Wings Playoffs

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by mikhail1973, Apr 5, 2008.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

No problem HQ. I try to keep track of all of the black brothers who like hockey. lol

It was a great post. You're a genuine original, I knew that when I saw what you had written about the Cup.

2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I can't believe how close they came to getting it in the net at the end. If that would have hit Osgood's glove and deflected in, it would have been tragic.

3. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

:gun1:And they'd be still playing now...:sssh:

4. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Don't forget DD.

5. mikhail1973

The last play didn't matter as the clock has expired.

6. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

Gotta be happy for the 1st time cup winners. Babcock, Filpula, Zetterberg, Hudler, Drake (especially), Kronwall, Lilja... more than 1/2 the guys I think.

Great job of putting this team together from Ken Holland. Finding all of the cast offs, free agents, and low draft picks that turn out to be solid contributors.

Zettergberg got the Conn Smythe, but I was pulling for Ozzie. If he wouldn't have come in during the 1st series, we surely would have lost early. And a 14-4 record in the playoffs with 3 shutouts (2 in the finals), is nothing to sneeze at. But Zetterberg is a good choice too.

GO WINGS!!!

7. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

Hondo loves the Wings
    June 3rd, 2008

Wings GM Ken Holland Proves: He is the best in Pro Sports!

By Hondo S. Carpenter Sr.
    Wings GM Ken Holland Proves: He is the best in Pro Sports!
    He once told me, “You should be my agent,” after filming an interview and even though that conversation was nearly three years ago, I still feel the same way. Wings GM Ken Holland is the best GM in pro sports.
    He has a system. A system that many thought would be dead after the salary cap came in. A system they said couldn’t work with the modern athlete after a man with more rings than I have excess pounds in Scotty Bowman. It does work, and that system has the Wings in the Stanley Cup Finals.
    He likes an authoritarian coach. One that isn’t his players’ buddy, and one that will hand out playing time based on who has earned and not who has the biggest deal or sells the most jerseys. When he hired a coach that was a great guy, but didn’t rule over his team with an iron fist, he made a move to Mike Babcock.
    Kenny Holland is decisive; he is not deterred and is a great person. He loves the Wings. He told me, “I am so fortunate to have this job. I don’t think a day goes by that I don’t stop and think about the fact that I am a Red Wing.”
    He is a man that has had success in the and out of the salary cap era. He is a GM that players both love and respect. He once called a veteran who was popular to the side to let him know that he had better get in line with the coach.
    In a day and age in pro sports where GM’s are weak and give in to the whims of their multi-millionaire players, he doesn’t. He would trade his best player if he became a distraction and would go find some obscure player and get him in a late round of the draft.
    Holland once described the draft to me like this, “It is easier to make picks early, anyone can pick up a magazine with the top prospects and make those picks. You win Cups in the late rounds.” Look at the Wings roster, look where his players were picked and compare it to everyone else. Then tell me he isn’t the best.
    In an era where players don’t trust management and the feeling is reciprocated, he is one of the most popular men who has his job in sports. “People, not just players trust Kenny,” was how Steve Yzerman described him to me.
    Ken Holland proves that you can run your team with integrity, honesty, and an iron fist, and still win and, most of all, still be respected.
    All signs point to the Wings winning the cup up 3-2. Whether they do or not you can count on them being in the hunt again as long as the name Holland hangs from the door of the GM’s office.
    He isn’t perfect, but nowhere in professional sports, any sport, is anyone better.

8. detteam

detteam All-Star

Lots of praise out there for the Wings, Holland & his system.

Opinion: Hard to believe, but Wings will only get better - NHL- nbcsports.msnbc.com

9. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

:pound:Thanks DET, loved that!

10. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Congrats Wings. Exciting game. Last 2 minutes were nailbiting. The penalty call on Hudler was BS.

This is how a professional team should operate. The vets on the team continue to show leadership while the youth provided the energy. Lids is an awesome captain and player. He is a quiet and strong leader. Kudos to Babcock for a great coaching effort. The players have improved tremendously in his watch.

11. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Great point. I was surprised that NBC kept showing different angles of the replay even though the very first replay (with the clock embedded) showed that time expired before the guy even took the shot.

12. mikhail1973

And they didn't show a replay of when Datsiuk was tripped going for the open net goal. That call could've been huge as he was going to score, especially if Pens would've tied the game. Wings didn't get anything from the refs all series long and still prevailed. Pistons need to copy that.

13. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

you know the CIA does the same thing.....:yellowprison::pound:

14. LA Dre

HQ We need one brutha on that Red Wings team to mix it up with them swedish guys and make them hipper than they are already are....:)...I know you are OLD school, but is you old is your younger brother and can he skate?:sssh:

15. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

my 'baby' brutha skates like a snail going across sandpaper!!!!!!!:pound:

16. mikhail1973

:pound::pound::pound:
    I designate this as a post of the month.

17. detteam

detteam All-Star

18. LA Dre

Would have been nice if NBC had cut to the Joe for at least a split screen to get the Detroit fans reaction to winning the cup.... I mean the Penguin fans were gratious losers, but it was evident that only people enjoying themselves were the guys wearing red/white unis or white caps...out on the ice

Did the local NBC channel cut in?

19. detteam

detteam All-Star

WDIV (channel 4) is the Detroit NBC affiliate and cut in with some local coverage. WXYZ (channel 7) is the ABC affiliate and had more local coverage.

20. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick