1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

2007 Playoffs Round 2 - Wings vs. Sharks

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by mikhail1973, Apr 25, 2007.

1. bezeach

bezeach First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

Mathieu Schneider broke his wrist and now he's done for the rest of the playoffs. That's a big loss for the wings, especially on the power play.

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I know it sounds like I am full of sweetness and light, but losing Schneider sucks for depth, but I liked seeing our forward lines handle the puck more on the PP and using Samuellson as another gun at the blueline.

I think the Wings were getting away from their strength of using skill and relying too much on Schneider pounding shots on the net for them to chase garbage goals.

We gotta play Red Wings Hockey.

3. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I'll drink to that............................:beer: :cheers: :party: :burp: :greenapple:

4. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Schneider's play is not only on PP. He was out on PK and he's one of the better Wings D-men in the even strength. He also played many minutes (I believe 2nd behind the St. Nick). His loss is definitely going to hurt, but I think Wings have enough depth and hart to pull through. Lebda should be back and he'll fill in.

5. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I'm surprised they didn't just sew him up and send him back out there.
    Talk about your tough love.:MusicBigGrin:
    Let's get this game 6 now..."MO" change loyalty in 2 seconds.:yellowprison:

6. mikhail1973

Sunday Practice Update
    From Detroit News
    Even if Lebda can play Wings are going to be shorthanded on the defense. Lebda is quick, but he's small. The way the calls are being made in these playoffs that may turn out to be an issue. And how much more can Wings hang on Lidstrom and Chelios? I know Cheli hadn't played many minutes during the year, but he's what, 43? And how much of this wear and tear can he handle?

7. mikhail1973

8. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

Let's go wings.

This is a big one.

Guerin should hopefully help offset the loss of Schneider. (gulp)

9. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

Cheli is 45.

Lebda is not that small.

He's only 5'11" but he is 195.

If he can help carry the puck, which he can, that will be a huge help.

Markov will need to step way up also and stop making mistakes.

10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm not looking to trigger a big nit-picky debate about this, but could someone give me a top 10 Redwings player ranking for the current team with a short description of why they are good.

Hockey is much more subtle than basketball for someone who basically only watches 10 games/ year. There isn't the starting line-up and since there are so few goals, it is difficult to see the advantages. Most of what I know already is from listening to the announcers and the between-period analysis.

Again, just looking for an education... because it will make it more interesting to watch.

11. mikhail1973

Here is how I see the Wings:
    #1 - Lidstrom - Top 3 if not the best defensman in the league. Always on the top in playing time and scoring among defensmen. Rarely if ever misses playing time due to injuries. Not physical, but very intelligent, shuts down opposition's best. The best there is in the NHL.
    #2 - Zetterberg. One of the better up and coming forwards in the league. He is a great two-way player and has a knack for scoring important goals. Had troubles staying healthy. Also, he manages to cure other players' scoring problems - if you put anyone with talent on his line - that guy will score.
    #3 - Datsiuk. Can't call him up and coming anymore since he's been in a league for a few years. The guy reminds me of young Larionov, but with a better shot and scoring touch in general. Has history of disappearing in the playoffs, but has been great so far this year.
    #4 - Hasek. One of the best goaltenders in the NHL in the past 10-15 years. Very unorthodox, but just stops the puck. Sometimes his temper and attempts to draw penalties hurt his team. Sometimes allowes soft goals. But with the game on the line - there are none better. He also manages to get into the opposing team players' heads.
    #5 - Schneider. The guy blossomed in his mid 30's playing for the Wings. Has an awesome shot from the point, great on powerplay. Very smart with the puck, makes great decision, and not a liability defensively.
    #6 - Thomas Holmstrom. The guy can't skate, his shot is OK at best. But he manages to get into all scrums in front of the net, screen the goaltender, dig out the puck, and score from in close. He's a real pest for the goaltenders, and doing even better since defensmen can't clear him from the front of the net. Very important ingredient on the powerplay.
    #7 - Cleary/Franzen. The guys had stepped up huge in the playoffs. Franzen seems to be stronger, but Cleary is just as physical. Arguably the best two forwards in the first series against Calgary. Both can score and play well defensively.
    #9 - Chelios. Guy's been great in the playoffs. Helps on the penalty kill, makes great decisions with the puck. Doesn't get as much playing time due to age. He's been a mentor to the young defenseman, helping them along the way to learn all the intricasies of the NHL defense.
    #10 - Draper. The guy's speed is great. He is a great forechecker. Often plays against the other team's top line. The best penalty killer on the Wings. Very hard to knock off the puck.

I am not sure where to put Bertuzzi, since the guy only played a handful of games and not in the top shape as of yet. Otherwise probably be in the top 5.

12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Thanks Mikhail! It is strange how defensive ability gets so much more respect in hockey.

Holmstrom's skating ability is something that I would have never noticed.

So, Schneider's loss hurts a bit, eh?

13. roscoe36

I'll agree with that list. My unmentioned but notable Wing would include;

Kirk Maltby - a speedy pest who draws penalties and takes teams out of their game through frustration. I have no idea how he does it, but I reckon he knows a lot about the opposing player's personal lives. Probably in the Darth Tater class of trash talker. :)

I don't know if I will have the endurance to watch this game tonight after the Pistons. A big Detroit victory around 10:30 would help me ride the wave of euphoria into the early morning.

14. roscoe36

The loss of Schneider will hurt us more in the next series if we make it. Anaheim is very deep.

Homer is a notoriously slow and bad skater, but he does all of the dirty work. I once saw a segment on how much leg padding he wears because the opposing goalies hack away at him, hoping to take away his resolve, but the guy is just fearless in front of the net.

He's the Ben Wallace of the Pistons. A self-made player.

15. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I too think it was an excellent list, although for the playoffs, I would move Hasek and Holmstrom up some more.

LOL@Maltby comment. I'll go get a Maltby avatar in a minute. Sounds like my kind of guy.

I'm with you on the double header thing Roscoe. I just want the Wings to end it tonight, and this is by far the most excited I've been for a Pistons game all year.

16. mikhail1973

I does hurt. He was a #2 defenseman on the Wings soaking up the minutes.

17. mikhail1973

Hey, Roscoe, Homer is slow. It is funny though, but St Nick is not all that fast himself. He manages to make up for that with his thinking and game vision. And Cheli is very very slow, because of that he's more of a stay-at-home defensman now.

18. roscoe36

Chellie and Nik are both superb with their sticks. Very good at poke checking, which has become somewhat of a lost art.

19. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Red Wings have won the last 10 playoff games in a row when faced with eliminating an opponent...............

Sharks have lost the last 5 playoff games in a row when faced with elimination..........

Wings win tonight !!!!!!!!!!! 3-2

T. H. scores the WINNER !!!!!!

20. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Another great late Doubleheader tonight. I told everyone that I wouldnt be in til 10AM tomorrow for work. Lets get this OVAH WITH!!!:gun1: