2007 FIBA Tournament of the Americas

Discussion in 'Other Hoops Talk' started by Dumars4Ever, Aug 22, 2007.

1. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Just got done watching Argentina beat Panama. Sure is strange seeing Delfino being used properly (as a setup guy, not as a spot up guy). 19 points, 5 boards, 6 assists.
  2. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Chris Sheridan's game summary for ESPN says this about Tay, which makes it sound like it isn't too serious an injury:

Hey, has he been reading The Low? Sour Notes? ;)
  3. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Re: mello

I think you are reading a little too much into their play this summer.
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I was really suprised at how poorly Mike Miller was passing the ball yesterday. Not sure if he always does that, or if he just got caught up in that all-star game mode, where everyone tries to force amazing passes for the crowd.

He didn't exactly have Kobe Bryant guarding him either.

Also, I'm gaining a lot of respect for J Kidd through watching these games. Usually, I'm rooting against him, so maybe I'm just seeing things through a clearer lens now.
  5. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

it seems maybe mello should have been teaching lb some things about international play. he destroys the international competition yet lb couldn't put him on the floor cause he wanted to teach the wrong kind of lesson. lb always finds time to teach young players thier place in the world. given a full season i think mello would be tired of sitting on the bench when it's clear that he should be getting minutes and request a trade.

mello wouldn't have been a great player sooner under lb. mello is great now because he was getting heavy minutes on a lottery team. mello was allowed to make mistakes and grow his game.
  6. bball jay

it's a wonderful thing to watch. i've always said fino was a triple double threat. i wonder why flip wouldn't give him a chance running the offense. it's interesting how things will turn out in toronto. i know sam mitchell is loving watching delfino develop.
  7. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Can Tay realistically put on weight? I know a guy who tried that trick. He would pig out, eat as much as he could, drank 2000-calorie weight gainers. All he had to show after 2 months was measly 2 lbs.
  8. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

CD 19 and 11 on 7 of 12 shooting. What was Joe thinking only getting a couple of 2nd rounders for him?
  9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

That he plays in the NBA, not in FIBA? :)
  10. linwood

linwood All-Star

You beat me to it. Let's see how Delfino does when he faces Team USA.
  11. max

max All-Star

I am sure Mello would have apprecitated the significance of winning an NBA championship right out of the gate. That may have helped. Nothing nightmarish about that. Most guys try for that their whole career, take massive pay cuts for the chance, and never get one.
  12. max

max All-Star

That says it all. Delfino was doing quit well in the Italian league when he was drafted.

Too bad Delfino did not want to be here because things were comming around for him. He played in all 82 games at almost 20 per game. Probably not going to see anymore than that in Toronto. Sometimes guys have to try a few teams before it sinks in that they are not talented enough to start in the NBA.
  13. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

I agree, although this style of play is perfect for him and he is a true pure PG unlike Chauncey and D. Williams (to a lesser degree) that are just combo guards that are excellent passers.

C$ and Deron can see passes that almost nobody else can see right before it happens. Kidd can see everything all the time that nobody can see well before it happens...

I agree with Bill Simmons that Kidd should be an all star every year as long as he can play just because you need a pure PG to make the games enjoyable. The Magic/Isiah all star games were the best for the same reason.
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I thought this was pretty funny:

Team USA dreaming again

It is really one of the cockiest statements I've ever heard.
  15. himat

himat Bench Warmer

What would he eat? Muscle also weighs more than fat, so eating isn't the only thing that helps put on some weight. The only reason chubby people usually weigh more than fir people is because the chubby people have a lot of excess fat.
  16. bball jay

if it's that easy why isn't anybody on the us team dropping 19 and 11 on a regular basis in international competition. the only difference with delfino is that his coach is putting the ball in his hands and letting him play. i love how guys try to justify joes bad trades by trying to downgrade what players do in other roles on new teams.

i wonder if joe could have waited to do that trade until after the tourney. i think we'd be getting much much more. joe only got 2 second rounders because the rest of the league only saw delfino playing a role that didn't fit his game. delfino wanted out and toronto knew what they were getting. joe got duped once again.
  17. bball jay

yeah. mello didn't like coming off the bench behind richard jefferson, odom and marion. i'm sure he would have accepted his role seeing his minutes to to darvin ham.
  18. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

put most our players on alot of those teams and they would average a heck alot more then 19 and 11. delfino is what he is... a nice bench player who in the right situation will help a team, but don't get to far ahead on him being a great player.
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I think that Jay has a point with the timing of the transaction.

Maybe it would have been better to showcase him in FIBA, so that other teams could see what they are getting.

We didn't really get much for him. We may miss his rebounding and his situational defense.

If the new guys pan out, then it is water under the bridge.
  20. bball jay

rasheed and mcdyess could and that is it. i'm not saying he's a great player i'm saying that we gave away a guy that can drop 19pts and 11rebs from the guard position for peanuts.