2007/8 All Star Game - Feb 17th 2007 - 8 PM EST

Discussion in 'February 2008' started by roscoe36, Feb 17, 2008.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Yeah, but how much integrity can you have if you accept payment for that which is given freely?

Only charity critics have any esteem in my eyes. The people who complain on their time, and their dime, and don't expect 2 weeks vacation a year for doing it.
  2. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

.....uhhhhhh holday hoooopitty whateee?:nerd2:
  3. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Where did i say i was bored watching the Pistons? I said i was bored watching the All-Star game, and pointed out the Pistons aren't exactly suited for that style of play.

When watching an actual NBA game it's fun to watch players that play team winning basketball. The All-Star game is not about that. It's about individual great players and great plays; Alley-oops, crossovers, sick dunks, great passes, etc.

If it was about team we could have the Spurs players play eachother. I'm sure people would love that.

Rip and Chauncey are good players on a great team that play well together, but you can't tell me either one of them is a "star". I'm not saying they shouldn't have been all-stars; i'm just saying they're not exactly going to wow you.

If the crowd response was any indication, most ppl there weren't exactly thrilled watching the game. I like that it was close and competitive in the 4th so maybe i'll just FF to there next time.

edited to add;

I take that back about the Spurs. Ginobli and Parker at the least would be extremely entertaining.
  4. roscoe36

Yes. Whateee hoooopitty uhhhhhh uhhhhhh. Hoooopitty uhhhhhh.
  5. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Is this that Nascar talk?
  6. max

max All-Star

"Not exactly exciting" is not quit the same as boring so I will give you that.

True but whoever you are. If you print it people are going to respond to it.

Truthfully. Over the years I usually have not watched the all-star game in its entirety because there typically have not been any Pistons in it and as you have pointed out is usually not much of a game. Just superstars all trying to be the MVP with the winner being the one able to hog the ball the most in the 4th quarter. The one this year had 3 Pistons in it and was actually a very competitive game. I think it will go down in all-star history as one of the better games.
  7. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

I didn't go in expecting much and wasn't disappointed. I took two things away from this event:
    1. It was fun watching the players having fun and the plugged-in sound event is always enlightening, especially under relaxed circumstances.
    2. Allen is amazing and hands-down was the MVP. Come playoff time and things tighten up, Boston will be very, very tough. The Pistons will not be able to have the least bit of inconsistency they have shown over the last couple of years. The key variable this year, for the pistons, will be the knowledge that if they don't make it into the finals, JD will make wholesale changes over the summer.
    Only one player could make a difference for the pistons in winning it all. That would be Artest. Looks like JD is going to roll-the-dice with this current group.
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Lebron's air ball 3 was pretty funny. Wide open. He was ball hogging big time.

And I'm not sure why anybody passed the ball to Sheed after that 2nd left handed 3.
  9. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I didn't mean the Pistons weren't exciting to watch. When i said their games i meant their individual games/skills. They're not really flashy, quick, or super athlethic. They play good fundamental ball, and have good technique. I should've worded that statement differently, i could see how it came out like that. That's not exciting in an all star game.

Would you rather see Rip shoot or a Kobe/Lebron acrobatic dunk in a game that means absolutely nothing?
  10. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

So you are saying that paid basketball coaches have no integrity.

They accept payment for what they do and yet there are 100s of thousands of people out there telling players every day what they should do and not getting paid for that advice.

In fact I would say that there are people giving free advice in all areas where people charge to give advice.

Therefore you are saying that there is no such thing as a person of integrity who works for pay giving advice of any kind.

Interesting.

:hoops:
  11. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

:pound::pound:...my answer was actually the response similar to what "the grinch, jim carrey" replied to the lil girl telling him about the Whoville Holiday Whobilee. My mind is a whirlwind of elaborate bulldunk.
  12. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

2008 all-star Q-lights:

1. How come Barkley and Smith weren't the game analysts.
    Magic is the worst 'speaker' in the history of sports.
    Add more Sagersideline interviews.
    Mike the point guards in the game.

2. Piston players ARE boring. Chauncey and Rip are the worst greatest backcourt ever for an allstar game. I couldnt wait for that 'all-world pass from Billups to a wide open Rip off a curl' play.

3. I dozed off 3 times IN the 4th qtr. THe last 3 minutes, not so much.

4. Whenever I think Lebron aint so much when he is in a Cavs game, I see him in the World Games or an AllStar game and realize he is THE ONE MAN GANG. That end of the game dunk was as signature as it gets.

5. Sheed is the best defensive forward in the game. Duncan and Garnett hate playing against him.

6. Is it me or are NBA National TV games the softest, worst produced games in all sports? They dont show enough Puppies, the announcers stink and the tv timeouts ruin the flow.

7. Worst uniforms in the history of man!!! Even GOD said "GOdd$%#$@!"
  13. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I have not gone back to review the game on my DVR, but got home in time enough to see the the game via the TNT replay starting at the beginning in the second qtr. Was there a halftime show? All I was saw was some old jocks in the booth wishing they were still out their playing. Did Toni Braxton or Beyonce open the show? If so I will go back and watch the beginning :MusicBigGrin:
  14. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

The halftime show was a series of jazz numbers introduced by Harry Connick Jr. He played with Ellis Marsalis, and then there was a mix of younger and older performers, including Allen Touissant. No Beyonce getting booed at halftime, a la the 2001 Finals in Philly. :)
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Yeah, I was thinking to myself that I would have for sure thrown a pass to the other team with the different colors on the front and back of the jerseys. Maybe that is why the game got sloppy.
  16. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Thank you. I was beginning to feel all alone in this thread. :)
  17. roscoe36

Buddhafan, there is no need to take everything I say seriously or literally.
  18. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Thanks D4E, I guess for time constraints they didn't show any halftime performances on the TNT replay. That is why I was checking if someone was on the beginning of the show.
  19. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

When HQ speaks, PEOPLE LISTEN! I can Se Max saying now "Well I guess it WAS boring.":pound::pound::pound:
  20. max

max All-Star

I like watching well designed and executed plays. That pass from Lebran to Howard in the post was the most exciting play to me because it required 2 players and pin-point accuracy. How Lebran made that pass was very impressive.

In theory it sounds exciting to watch Kobe make all those athletic moves. In reality a lot of it is taking shots that he should not be taking and diving into the paint looking for the call. Can be very frusterating if he is playing against your team.