[2 of 2] Pistons' WORST move of the offseason

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Aug 14, 2006.

?

2006 Offseason WORST Pistons' move

Poll closed Sep 3, 2006.
  1. Losing Ben Wallace to leave in Free Agency

61.7%
  2. Drafting Will Blalock

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Signing Nazr Mohammed

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Signing Flip Murray

4.3%
  5. Making Amir Johnson a FA the same year as Chauncey Billups

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Trading Maurice Evans for Cheikh Samb

2.1%
  7. Inviting former Timberwolf Rick Rickert to tryout

4.3%
  8. Re-signing Lindsey Hunter and promising him a front office job

2.1%
  9. Losing Alex Acker to a fat European contract

6.4%
  10. There was no WORST move

19.1%
  1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

2. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

I hate losing Acker, but if the contract was fat and he has a chance to play, can't blame him.

3. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Losing Acker. I can understand the reasoning behind not signing Ben. Acker can play, IMO.

4. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

They all stink.

What happened to Joe's Mojo? Now he's getting mocked by Atlanta beat writers for getting nothing in return for Ben? Dumps a backup point guard and a future starting center for cap space and a 1st rounder? Mo Evans for a project? Let's Acker go, resigns Lindsey. Offers Flip the full MLE (thank g-d Flip was too dumb to take it). Then offers Nazr the full MLE? A guy even the Knicks didn't want.

I don't know if Joe is panicking, has gotten so full of himself that he believes that he doesn't have to cater to exceptional players, or has been spoiled by low maintenance players like CB, Rip, Tay, and Dice. Note to Joe, it's the NBA, any player worth his salt gets special treatment if he wants it.

Whatever it is, it's a new year, and Joe looks like he's trying to make amends by courting Carlos, and trying to make him feel happy as a Piston. Hopefully, he we make good use of our picks next year, keep CB, develop Amir, and keep on moving.

5. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I voted for losing Ben. Not that I wanted Joe to get into the $60 million range. But because it was allowed to get that far in the first place and because there wasn't a better contigency plan than Nazr freaking Mohammed!!! :frusty::frusty::frusty:

I understand that the ball was in Ben's court and that Joe supposedly had tried numerous times to resign him before his contract expired. But I still can't help but blame Joe D. on this one.

He's the one that brought in Flip. He's the one that stood by and let Flip destroy this team. He's the one that couldn't get Ben resigned to a reasonable extension and he's the one that brougth in Nazr freaking Mohammed as a replacement to Big Ben!

6. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

I choose losing Big Ben Wallace. That broke my heart.

I had a FAN-atical attachment and affection for that particular starting five. Deep in my fan heart I wanted a Detroit Pistons dynasty with that starting five. Chauncey, Rip, Tay, Sheed and Big Ben. Those five guys who I fell in love with early in the playoffs 2004.

If any of the other four starters had left I would have felt the same loss.

I'm still not over it either. I just got my Return to Red Ben Wallace #3 Detroit Pistons jersey in the mail and I'm proud to wear it and can't believe that he won't take the Palace floor in November as a Piston. :mad:

:hurt:

7. linwood

linwood All-Star

60 million bucks is a lot of money. No doubt I will miss Ben Wallace... and I think every other Piston fan will too, even if they won't admit it.

8. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

I voted for losing Ben too, but the real worst move was failing to fire Flip Saunders. And the real, real worst move was Joe suddenly abandoning the philosophy that's got him this far -- defense/grit -- in favor of a finesse offensive style that failed this year and has failed so often is inspired one of the biggest cliches in sports: offense wins games, defense wins championships.

9. linwood

linwood All-Star

If we ever meet in person, I will buy you a drink. I think you may have just perfectly stated all my frustrations with this team over the last season.

10. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

I consider losing Ben and getting nothing in return to be the single most damaging event the franchise has endured in many years. The ongoing coaching carousel comes in second, and the Darko fiasco comes in third.

11. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Hack and Icepick, sorry guys it's time to adapt. Let's drop the Piston rep. as defensive thugs and move to smooth scoring machine. Think more of throwing it down, as everyone gets posterized. The National Posterizing Basketball League. Can you do the most? Can you block with out hand checking? Everyones going to get a free pass to the rim.
    WoW! That hurt just typing it.

12. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I'd put the whole Darko thing #1. Can you imagine having Wade, Bosh, or Anthony? (Assuming we would have given them a chance).

That reminds me,
    Dick Vitale, the Detroit coach in 1979, gave Milwaukee cash to move up one draft pick (from #5 to #4). Milwaukee knew he wanted to move up so he could AVOID drafting Sydney Moncrief and take Terry Duerod! Milwaukee was happy to oblige. :doh:

13. linwood

linwood All-Star

Hurts watching it too! I don't want the Pistons to play goon ball by any stretch, but man, you can't just be givin away chili every night. It's no fun to watch... makes it like ballet. Well choreographed super athletes running, jumping, and spinning in the air. The problem is, there just ain't much "Sport" in it.

14. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I got no response, except everyone goes home farting, excuse me, breaking wind.

15. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

assuming we would have given them a chance. can you imagine losing them to free agency cause the pistons are too cheap?? they wouldn't have got a chance and would have wanted out just like darko is the reality.

darko was the best choice and still is. after a few years darko will be the all star center of the east. he was also our best chance of signing one of those young stars of the 03 class to a decent long term contract. 8 mil starting + playing time would have had darko locked up for 5 years.

anyway i chose losing ben for nothing was the worse move. i wanted ben out of detroit more than anyone else i'm pretty sure. i just didn't want it to cost us darko, arroyo, a championship and team chemistry (ben's ego). we got nothing out of the deal.

16. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

Linwood, thanks. No biggie, any 20-year-old scotch will do. :)

As for the offensive suggestion, look at the history of any sport, reference the cliche I brought up above. It's that simple.

17. G-man

G-man Starter

The worst thing in general that happened was certainly losing Ben to neighboring Chicago. A multi-dimensional problem.

But it wasn't really a Piston move. From an economics standpoint it was Big Bens choice to be made and it was out of the Pistons hands. His numbers have declined and it made no sense to enter into a contract at that cost for that duration.

The Pistons offered him a lot, it just wasn't enough relative to the Chicago offer. I don't blame the guy for taking the extra 11M, but if you already have 20-25 milllion banked and another 50 on the table, is the extra 11 that important in your everyday life? Important enough to leave a team thats been built around your limited skills and is a promising contender for another 3-4 years?

Apparently it was for Ben.

By leaving before the Pistons might've won another title with him on the roster, did he ruin his own chances for making the HOF in the future? It could be all the years in Detroit, all the accumulative runs to the end of the season were the best thing that could've moved him eventually over the top.

It's hard to believe he'll ever make it now unless the Bulls reach and win at least one Championship. If you're already as wealthy as he is, and was about to be either way (Detroit or Chicago) is 11M the amount you sack the potential of maybe making the HOF for?

Apparently it was for Ben.

His jersey will surely be in the rafters at the Palace one day. That may end up being as good as it gets for him from here on out...(other than sitting at home on cold winter nights counting out the extra 11m in gold Maple Leafs ;)..........

18. max

max All-Star

Good point. I never thought about how it would effect his HOF status. I can't see how its going to help.

19. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

This is probably not the place for it, but the hand-checking has been mentioned, which brings up this point.

I have noticed that despite the hand-cchecking bans, the offensive player is being allowed more and more to use the off-arm to hook the defender and also to use the off-arm to keep the defender from blocking the shot.

Has anyone else noticed this? Or is it just Dwayne who is being allowed to do this? I think he is the one I have noticed the most.

20. max

max All-Star

Good question. Its supposed to be an offensive foul as far as I know but I have also seen Wade do this many times. There were even a couple of times in the finals when the other guy was called for the foul.

Stuff like that will take away from defensive orientated players like Ben.