1st Round Game 4 - At Orlando Sat April 28th 3pm

Discussion in '2007 Playoffs' started by roscoe36, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I just believe a long layoff would favor the Bulls. Simply because they are younger and perhaps, they would have a ton of energy and just run the Pistons off the floor.

If the jumpers aren`t falling they will be running, slashing and cutting to the basket so much it will be minutes left in the game before Detroit realizes what is happening.

And like someone else said, it gives Nocioni time to heal, we have only faced this Bulls team once this year with him in the lineup.

I hope I am wrong.............
  2. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Extra time off for Nocioni does help them somewhat, but if the Pistons had dropped one or two games to Orlando, wouldn't we be complaining about how they'd be going into the next series more tired than necessary? It's reasonable enough to point to some of the struggles the Pistons had this season after long layoffs, but the playoffs are different in a number of ways. It seems like we're out-thinking ourselves here. Long layoff favors the Bulls because of their energy, short layoff favors the Bulls because they're younger...heck, why even bother playing the series at all?:yield:;)
  3. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

well the problem is, if you start the pistons/bulls 2nd round while everyone else is still in the 1st, what if that series is a sweep, and all the others go 7 games? then you could have a team waiting 2-3 weeks to play again.

it has more to do with all of the 1st round finishing before anyone starts the 2nd round.
  4. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I agree. With teams being on even terms it shouldn't matter. If we are the better team we'll win with the short break or long.
  5. mikhail1973

Now, talking about today's game, why didn't Delfino come off the bench in the 2nd half? I thought he played great in the 2nd quarter. He hit his shots, he was active on the boards and played well defensively. What does guy have to do to earn some paying time?
    Web needs to hit his free throws.
  6. himat

himat Bench Warmer

He did great, but Tay got into a groove in the third quarter as well.

As far as the fourth quarter goes. Tayshaun was the right player to put in there.

I agree though he could of had some pt in the second half. He did great while he was out there though.
  7. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

I'm not so sure. Time off may do the same thing to the Young Bulls that it used to do to Rip. Hamilton would enter the game moving at twice the necessary speed and be totally ineffective until he managed to burn of the extra adrenaline (sp).
  8. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

That`s the beauty of this team. Having players who can come in for 8-10 MPG and produce is a luxury most teams don`t have. Delfino now understands exactly what he has to do for this team. He accepts it and is contributing to a winning cause, in the playoffs.

It is the coaches responsibilty to be able to make adjustments and put his players in a position where they can succeed. In this game at least Flip is getting it and utilized his bench very well.

The 45 minutes given to Chauncey is another matter. Is it me or does it seem Flip has lost confidence in playing Hunter at PG when Chauncey is not in the game?
  9. mikhail1973

I think Hunter will see some playing time as we move further along, unless we keep winning all the games, which in most likelihood will not happen. Flip just wanted to get this over as soon as it is possible and get more rest for all the players rather than a possibility of prolonging the series by giving Chauncey some minutes off. I would've thought he could try putting Delfino alongside Rip in the backcourt to spell Chauncey for a few minutes, but looks like Flip doesn't trust anyone to run the team other than Chauncey.
  10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

What a fantastic and amazing game.

We fought tooth and nail against a team that was facing the prospect of extending or ending their season today. Forget how the Magic are perceived as a contender, just keep in mind that desperation makes players rise to new levels. Players and coaches.

From memory as I was preparing to go out for dinner as the game wound down,

Thank you

Carlos Delfino for making your shots, and Flip Murray for replacing Lindsey Hunter as an off the bench transition playmaker.

Kudos

Chauncey Billups and Rip Hamilton for the production we expect, and the game ending free throws (something we take for granted yet other teams covet)

Cooler Heads prevail

Rasheed Wallace and Antonio McDyess. In the face of some spotty officiating, neither men picked up a technical.

Zone Master

Flip Saunders. Our zone isn't perfect, but it has become as effective as the Pistons' man defense was last season, without an excessive expenditure of energy, and without accumulating too many fouls. Bonus points for sitting Hunter in favour of Murray. Ronald was great today.

Mr. Clutch?

Tayshaun Prince. He's letting the game come to him offensively, and when the team needs something, he's been providing it. His physical self-sacrifice fighting for rebounds show just what kind of heart and character he has.

Just enough and more

From Chris Webber. I would find myself screaming at the TV and then he would make two great back to back plays. Another player fulfilling a role, and more times than not, providing a net positive result.

Rick Mahorn Jr.

Dale Davis has one mission and one mission only. To bang, frustrate and intimidate. He's doing a wonderful job of taking opposing front courts out of their rhythm.

This was a classic folks. Even with the Darko surge, the Pistons still found a way to gut it out and win. I had the feeling that they would win tonight, and even if they didn't, the best the Magic had, at this point in their development, is simply not enough.

I see the hand wringing on too much rest has already started. Please relax my friends. We need this practice time to get work in for our offense to combat the fronting-style defense of the Bulls. It's a fairly unique look that (as far as I know) no other team uses as a base defensive scheme.

Great job Pistons! First sweep since 1990. That is very impressive.
  11. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I sure hope he has, since that would be the right decision! Flip Jr. did a nice job in the second quarter, most of which was played with CB out there as well. We can't have CB going 45 minutes per game all the way through the playoffs, but with a chance to close the series out and a week of rest beckoning, it's as OK a time as any to play him heavy minutes.

Hopefully Lindsey will be able to contribute some against the Bulls, with pressure and trapping to slow them down and force some turnovers.
  12. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

I think so, at least for this series. Mayby things change in round two. If not I wonder if this is the career twilight for any significant contribution by Hunter.
  13. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

mARK jONES JUST PULLED A "cHARLIE sTEINER" AT THE START of the Spurs game on ESPN. He tried to say George Karl calls and said "Karler karls...and went Ok Ok Ok as " as walton tried to hold it in. Then they cut and went back to the studio! Hilarious!:pound:
  14. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

He knew we had a week off REGARDLESS of the Bulls/Heat and so, why not? Had we lost? Well....WE DIDNT! HAHAHAMOOOHAHAHMOOHAHAHA!
  15. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

darko is a beast. i wonder how the series would have went if they went through darko instead of howard all series. i'm glad this series happened it gave a lot of people a chance to see darko work. darko isn't potential anymore he's a bonified player in this league and he's only going to get better. darko is better than battie and in some ways is better than howard. :sssh:

ok. bring on the bulls. it's going to be fun taking on another former piston.

this was a great series even though it only lasted 4 games. fino and company will be ready for the bulls.
  16. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

The funny thing is he almost didn't play in this series because of the ankle. I must say jay, your unending faith in the Serbian Swat machine has finally yeilded some fruit.
  17. Jackattaq

Jackattaq First Round Draft Pick

I thought Darko had a really really good series considering he plays on a team with a bunch of ballhogging guards. He's on a team with an inept coach, inept guard play and inept offensive schemes. After all of that, he played very well. Coming in to game 4 he was shooting 68% from the floor and making good unselfish plays for his teammates. I thought that he was patient and played hard and never "loafed" while on the court.

Good series for him, I'm happy, I wanted this matchup for the Pistons, I wanted a Pistons win and for Darko to play well. It all worked out well for me.
  18. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

:sssh:

Darko really surprised me in this series, especially in the fourth quarter of today's game. He still has a lot of holes in his game, but he could be a really decent starter in this league by next year.
  19. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Funny story from ASB:
  20. Jackattaq

Jackattaq First Round Draft Pick

According to an article out of Orlando, Darko wants assurances that the Magic will use him differently (than just posting up and setting screens) if he is to re-sign in Orlando. He says his role on the team is more important to him than trying to get the most money. He also went on to say that he promises to come back next year after Euroleague play as an even better player. He says he wants to be more of a difference maker on next year's team.

I know alot of people say that he's a very immature person, but I think he's had to go through alot and hasn't every been appreciated where ever he's been. He basically spent this whole season running around setting screens and calling for the ball in the post (and not getting it) and trying to do everything the coaching staff wanted. His play this year definately warranted a starting job but the coach stuck with Battie. He also didn't even average 24 minutes a game this regular season. I think his play definately warranted much more than his "inept" coach gave him.

The guy will be fine. He played hard and with passion during this series. Definately was one of the Magic's best players in the series.