1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

1st Round Game 3 - At Orlando Thurs April 26th 8pm

Discussion in '2007 Playoffs' started by roscoe36, Apr 22, 2007.

1. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    It was funny when Sheed blocked Hedo's shot you could clearly hear him shouting "Get that sh.t out of here!!!". I think he was right by commentators when he let that yell out.
    Overall a good game by Pistons, as always lots of unchecked emotions with that team.
    Javie was on the power trip in the first half, looked like he wanted some camera time. It went both ways. The refs would let banging go and then would call touch fouls. It's like they got the memo to call the handchecks and such, but at the same time forgot that they still need to call the other stuff. Also, I think too many techs, including Howard. These are playoffs, emotions are going to run high, need to allow for that.

2. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Just wanted to add a few more things:
    The bench didn't hurt the Pistons any
    The rebounding was there (so they can actually rebound if they wanted to)
    They went to the hole and got some calls
    Only 13 triples attempted
    Webber looked energized and did many positive things
    Brian Hill is confirming once again that he is not very smart - Battie 22 min 2 pts, Darko 24 min 11 pts. Why did Darko only play 24 minutes???
    Darko looked good near the basket with that hook shoot over whoever was in front of him. He needs to send "thank you card" to LB for that. He still should be allowed to shoot the jump shot. That'll make him that much better having an inside and outside presense. Imagine telling Sheed - if you shoot anywhere beyond 10 ft from the basket - you're going to the bench.

3. max

max All-Star

When a team is executing as well as the Pistons are some credit has to go out to the coach. Thats what they did tonight. The Magic gave it their all and kept on falling behind. Pistons always had an answer.

Are the Pistons one of the best road teams of all time? Probably top 10 I would imagine. Best road team out of the franchise probably. Plus the sea of blue made them feel wanted.

Great games overall by the the Pistons. Nice to have that front court dept. Props out to the coaching staff for putting in the hard work in that, payed off in this game. Also nice read on how to play Howard.

Time for the sweep. Has not happened since what 1990? 1991.

4. Jackattaq

Jackattaq First Round Draft Pick

He needs to send HATE MAIL to LB for attempting to destroy his career.

Anything Darko has done over the last year and a half in Orlando, did NOT happen because of LB. It happened because of Darko being a good player. He's played in the lowpost because his CURRENT COACH asked him to. Not because of LB. He may have had that jumphook before LB even met him. No one knows what all skills he had when he got to Detroit because LB did his best to hide them all.

Screw LB, I hope that prick never gets near another young basketball player again. I hope Memphis has the brains (which I doubt) to tell him NO WAY.

5. filky

filky Second Round Draft Pick

The Pistons haven't had a 4-game sweep since they swept the Lakers in 1989 to win their first championship. It will be nice to finally see them actually play up to expectations against a far inferior team like Orlando.

6. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I agree Ta. And I wonder if that's the feeling the Pistons themselves get that leads to the "if it ain't rough it ain't right" attitude and statements.... let's hope not.

7. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It's a beautiful game when guards rebound.

The big guys made it no place for the faint of heart under the basket.

8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

What a beautiful game. We took the first punches, stayed close, and then put our foot on their throat.

I don't think there is any team playing as physical as we did last night.

If we stay healthy, watch out. This Pistons team is capable of literally beating the junk out of anyone right now.

Great to see...
    Flip Murray, Dale Davis

Fantastic and complete game
    Tayshaun Prince

Giving up the body and fighting like dogs
    Rasheed, Antonio and Rip

Game face for 48 minutes
    Chauncey Billups

Welcome back
    Chris Webber

9. roscoe36

PopcornMachine's GameFlow - Detroit @ Orlando

Postgame Quotes
    PISTONS: Postgame Quotes - Round One, Game Three

Pistons Head Coach Flip Saunders

On taking Rasheed (Wallace) out of the game when he got his technical …
    It wasn’t that Sheed couldn’t play with two fouls, it was more about the way the game was being called. I thought it was being called pretty close, and because there was so much emotion during that point, I didn’t want him to pick up what would be considered a “cheap foul” in that situation. We know Sheed’s emotional … at halftime I talked to the players and said, “Orlando is playing with a lot of emotion, we have to get away from that emotion and do the things that we do … defend, execute offensively and kind of grind it out, and force the other team to grind it out and not get in to a running type game.” We came in here, and anytime you go on the road and hold a team to 77, you have got to feel pretty good about what you are doing defensively. I thought we changed defenses pretty well tonight. Our zone was good again, it changed the tempo a little bit. And there is no doubt that our ability to throw a lot of bigs at Dwight has helped us.

On the physicality of the game…
    As I said, we are a grind it out team and when we have the opportunity to get a little bit dirty and to get physical, that’s when we are at our best. At time’s we are a counter-cruncher. What they do defensively, we react to that offensively and defensively try to dictate what they do. So, basically we can look to be aggressive defensively and offensively try to execute. We have guys who are competitive; our guys have been extremely focused. A lot of people up in Detroit are saying we didn’t have a killer instinct, and our guys came down here and have been focused just with the idea of going out and playing how we want to play. I think the biggest thing for us is that tonight we dictated how the game was played; it was played pretty much at our pace.

On Chris Webber’s shift in focus to the shot rather than defense like in the previous two games …
    I think it was a combination of the flow of the game and the function of what Orlando was doing. As we watch film, I think our players can see where our second big, a lot of times, is not being guarded, and the release man will have to try take away a lot of our baskets cuts, and so, we definitely wanted to try to get our second big involved a little bit more offensively. And I think Chris is getting better and better; he was sick there for a while, and he struggled just to get his legs back under him. I think about five or six days ago he started to get his legs back under him and I think he’s going to continue to do that now, playing every other day and not having back-to-backs.

Surprised on all the technical fouls called on Detroit tonight?
    Surprised? You don’t have Direct TV, huh? (laughs). You have never seen us play?

Four in one game though? Were you guys a little bit emotional tonight?
    Well, we were emotional early, and that’s to be expected. That’s why we tried to calm our guys down, but in reality, that probably helped us. It probably got us focused early, and our guys were able to settle down after that. At the time I didn’t think so, but looking back, we did get pretty focused.

On Tayshaun Prince…
    He’s been playing well … he is the one guy on our team that no one talks about but he goes out there and he is kind of like the silent assassin. He goes out there and kind of floats around and has the ability to make big shots at the end of the shot clock. He does everything … you almost don’t want to take him out of the game because he does so much for us with the ball and he’s the third ball-handler on the floor, that’s one of the reasons we don’t turn the ball over much. Defensively, he is always locked in to one of their top offensive threats at the two or the three, but he is in a very, very good rhythm. He had a couple of bad decisions, but overall he had a pretty solid, lockdown game.

On Tayshaun’s steal …
    There’s no question that propelled us … those are plays that are killers when they happen against you, and for you they are plays that give you a little bit of that extra cushion. To start out the second half, you score and all of a sudden you are up eight. Now it becomes a three possession game, so there is no question that it was a huge play at that time, and I guess the biggest thing is that we were lucky we had great on-court awareness.

10. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Just what the Dr. ordered. After Sheed got benched, the Pistons stopped playing around and buried Orlando. Solid play all around, great coaching, and great adjustments in the 2nd half.

Brian Hill has really made me appreciate Flip. He's got LB's stubborness without LB's coaching ability, real bad combination. I can't imagine how he doesn't get fired after this series. Millen must be giving him advice on blackmailing the owner.

Flip and Delfino play well together as the 1-2 guards. They bricked some shots, but there was a lot of ball movement, they got good passes to Tay and Webber. Nice to see Flip have confidence in Delfino at the 2.

As for Davis, where has he been all year? He was an absolute Man on the floor.

As for my obligatory Darko comment, you have to wonder how much he's pushed up his market value. He's clearly been the best and most consistent player for Orlando.

11. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Just finished watching the re-played game on sport channel, the local commentator was high they cheered and praised the Pistons liked no one, Pistons did everything at will, Pistons dissected opponent's offense as though slicing sasimi, DD and CB has been giving lessons to their counter players throught out the game, etc, etc.
    I thought the crucial mement came at colsing minutes of Q1 after Sheed was taken out then every possesion was ended by attacking the rim which really got the tone set. Let's don't forget the great steal by Tay, what a wonderful sequel of CB's sudden turned about and gave extra pressure near the base line.

12. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

They are in a tough spot with him right now. If they don't play him, they could drive him away (especially with the agent he has). And if they do play him, they could lose a few million bucks per year for the next 4 because of his increased market value/ negotiating power.

He's like their Amir Johnson is for us... just on a larger scale. And, we are more confident that Amir won't bolt.

But how about Reddick? All time leading NCAA scorer!!?? Deadly 3-point shooter. Was playing well in the regular season.

The Magic are getting killed at the 3-point line, they can't spread the floor, and they have Reddick sitting on the end of the bench looking miserable. I'm not sure if defense is really something they should be concerned about right now, considering they can't break the 80 point barrier at home in a game when they had only 13 turnovers.

Who would win a 7 game series right now? The Magic or the deplete Wizards? Maybe they can play it out in the losers bracket.

14. roscoe36

TaShawn, no one else is going to pay Darko big bucks. Only Orlando, and because they can. They are totally in the driver's seat when it comes to the contract negotiation, UNLESS he wants to take a risk (huge risk in my opinion) and playout his qualifying offer (1 year).

15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He was about to jet to Europe while under contract with Detroit, so I'm not sure how risk averse he really is.

Is that course of action (playing out the qualifying offer) any riskier than a good college player staying in school for another year?

16. roscoe36

If he gets hurt, his guarantee to earn and start will be limited. And without that, he can't get a better offer the following year.

Darko has a couple avenues.

1. He re-signs with Orlando to a new long term deal.

2. He takes his one year qualifying offer and becomes a free agent the next offseason.

3. His agent gets an offer sheet that is more than Orlando is willing to pay (see Mehmet Okur) and signs a long term deal elsewhere.

1 is highly likely. 3 less likely. 2 very unlikely.

The last two players of note to take their qualifying offers were Vlad Rad and Reggie Evans. Neither of them benefitted from it, except they got out of Seattle (assuming that is what they wanted).

17. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

After his last two games I'm a lot less sure #3 won't happen via a S&T. I can hear the hype machine revving up with looped highlights from this playoff series. Darko is providing live NBA action with which to be judged this time.

18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I actually agree that he will just reach a number with Orlando. Despite some minor grumbling about the restrictions on his game, I think that he is happy to be getting consistent minutes (especially in crunch time) and likes having another big man by his side to do the heavy rebounding. He sees himself as a CWebb/ Sheed type player.

19. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

The Magic are doing their best to keep Darko on the Low... everyone gets on Hill for not playing him over Battie... the Magic understand that their opportunity is in the future... all they want now is to get the kids some playoff exposure... then lock em into long term deals... playing Darko 35 minutes now does not help their cap situation moving forward.

20. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

No wonder the Low is so grumpy. Darko must be heavy.