1st Round Game 1 - Orlando Sat April 21st 7pm

Discussion in '2007 Playoffs' started by max, Apr 19, 2007.

1. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

What Lee is having a hard time understanding is that Blalock has not shown the ability to command respect from the perimiter... this will completely bottle up his driving path (when they sag)...
    add in the odds of a rookie being composed enough to run a complicated system effectively (without overthinking).

It simply will not happen.

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

There is another element to not playing Blalock. Flip's system (going back to Minnesota) relies on a guard who can hit open shots. If you do not have a reliable jumpshot, you will not be able to run this offense. Hence why Murray doesn't excel and Hunter is so inconsistent from game to game.

3. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

darko looked great. he was playing on a bad wheel and nobody scored on him one on one. he even ran out at sheed,dice and tay to make them miss several times. darko never just shot a wide open jumper. he made moves out of the post with people on him. he even dunked a couple. if nobody is checking a 7 footer 3 feet away from the rim something is very wrong with the pistons defense.

4. roscoe36

5. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Mercury, I hate to break the news to you, but the all time worst ever shooting percentage in the playoffs belongs to Hunter. Meanwhile, then you have Flip Murray, who simply is not a point guard. Generally a poor decision maker, it does not matter if he can shoot or not. Flip has no clue as to what to do with any advantage he has from being able to shoot an outside shot. Please note, Flip Murray did not play last night. In case you missed it, his team does not want him to play. So who is really living in the fantasy world here. Hunter and Murray are not point guards and no amount of fanciful wishing is going to change that. Complicated sets-exactly why Murray is not playing, and Hunter should not be. Neither is a point guard, and neither can even begin to understand those complicated sets.

I will conclude the discussion for this thread with the fact we started out the 2nd and 4th quarters with a combined minus 10 with Hunter in at point. Just one game, but we can keep track from here. Meanwhile, we have an actual point guard, who is now back with the team, who in the 14 games he played in usually managed to keep us even in a game. (I have posted those stats in another thread). Onto game 2.

6. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

How do you guys even read one sentence past any of Lee's posts that start with BLALOCK. He's not even as good as MS Blalock, the nanny from 'The Omen". She coud at least go to her lef.

Excellent game on my Sharp HDTV. I'll think of an excuse to work late again Monday. I just cant drink nothing. I think Ive decided to watch home games in the office and road games at my place.

I thought we were as crisp as a Game 1 allows. Nice forms and follow thru on Sheed's jumpers. Hogg was right when he said Dyess was about 2 ft out more than he usually is on his J's. Billups will avg 22 to 25 PPG in this series, so dont expect Tay to be a big factor on O. He just needs to focus on Round 2 where he'll be big. In this series, we should work in Delfino and Max more to raise their confidence.

Backup points are so irrelevant in the playoffs. Cb will go 38MPG minimum except in blowouts, so someone tell my bro Lee to relax. If we jump out early and put Orlando away by the 6:00 mark in the 4th, if not earlier, rest wfor Cb will be irrelevant. I think as long as CB doesnt turn from his assist first-ways, we'll be fine.

WORRIES?: More Webber....that was it

GOODIES?: ITS PLAYOFF TIME! Im sorry but HEY ..A WIN IS A WIN.

we all year to groan. I just want to go 16-12! SHIP TIME!!!:cheerleader:

7. linwood

linwood All-Star

Great game! Like Bill and HQ, I'm enjoying the first Pistons WIN of the playoffs. Nice to see that little X over the number one.

I thought that Sheed, Billups, Hamilton, Dice and Delfino had great games.
    I haven't really been sold on Carlos so far, but this game made me a fan. He was hustle and energy, and seemed to really have a nose for the boards.

Speaking of the boards, if there is one thing that really concerns me about the Pistons, it's their rebounding. Many times, it seemed like the Pistons made almost no effort to grab a rebound. Hopefully, they turn on that switch soon.

Favorite comment of the game:

Right after Darko was poked in the eye, one of the announcers said something to the effect of, "He's young, and he really hasn't developed the reflexes to close his eye in time"

Hopefully, young Darko heard it, and in addition to shooting free throws after practice, will also blink 1000 times.

8. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

I think Darko should poke himself in the eye before shooting FTs. He swished both of them without so much as touching the rim.

Maybe he should go over and poke Dwight in the eye, as well.

But, seriously, the announcers for ESPN, especially Hubie, had a ton of praise for Darko, which I liked to hear, :stirthepot: but the Pistons still won.

No problem. Watch out, though, if Brian wakes up and starts actually doing some coaching :pound: :nerd2: :pound: !!

9. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Rip, Delfino.

10. linwood

linwood All-Star

For the record, I think that Darko had a pretty nice game yesterday. The kid certainly has a ton of skill, I just question his "head for the game" at times.

I don't know if poking Dwight in the eye would help... but it doesn't seem like it could hurt! :pound:

11. roscoe36

Hey guys, I meant to do it last night, but I forgot.

Darko wasn't poked in the eye. He faked it.

All through the call, Sheed keeps telling the ref, "I did not poke him in the eye."

So I watch it the replay a couple times this afternoon, and Darko is totally playing it up. On the replay, Sheed's hand never touches Darko's face, although I allowed for the possiblity that he may have got Darko's left eye (definitely did not get the right eye).

At the line, Darko is wincing both eyes, and even rubs them both (hamming it up), but as soon as he goes to shoot the second FT, suddenly both eyes are fine.

Just wanted to clear that up. Mind you, I liked the idea of poking Dwight in the eye. :)

12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

So how many games do we have to lose because of foul trouble on Billups before you think there is a problem? And did you notice that Billups has been injury prone all year. How many games will we have to lose due to minor injuries to Billups before you think there is a problem. The problem is real. Risking a championship like this, by not keeping a backup point guard ready to play, is plain nuts. As far as relaxing, I have the whole off-season for that, after we win it all.

13. linwood

linwood All-Star

Faking an injury to draw a foul on Sheed?!!!

My respect for Darko just increased a little.

14. roscoe36

Yeah, I'm not saying Darko did anything wrong. In fact, that's pretty savvy because his FTs keyed the Magic comeback.

But he was definitely faking. No wonder Sheed kept arguing it.

15. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Noway. Brian Hill is a loser. His team should have made the playoffs last year, but he was too ignorant to start playing Ariza the day he got him. There is hardly an Orlando fan left who does not think Ariza should be starting over Turkoglu. Nelson is another guy the fans would have demoted by now, although they were part of the problem most of the year, believing in the guy despite the painfully obvious facts that he is not a point guard, and that he can't defend most opposing point guards.

Most of the year, it was charity to let Grant Hill start. Even now, he is really not that great a defender and should be coming off the bench. Better defenders such as Dooling and Bogans get way too little use while Grant plays his last season.

And Battie. Half the production per minute vs. Darko. And yet he starts, letting every team start the game off double teaming Howard without a fear in the world. Some coaches get one or two players wrong, Hill has 4 in his starting unit that do not belong there. Good thing for us, he will never change.

16. max

max All-Star

The switch? Here is what they say about it.

Late arrival - Orlando Sentinel : Top Sports Late arrival - Orlando Sentinel : Top Sports

It also states that the Magic are 28th in FT% and 29th in TO's. So there are your ifs and buts - its just Magic bball. Its very hard to develope a team that takes care of the ball like the Pistons do. Its something we take for granted but very few teams are like that.

In the Last game, besides all the bad calls, the Pistons did kind of play down to the competition level at times. Good old Pistons there, I don't know if they can change even if they wanted to. Just keep winning!!

17. max

max All-Star

I don't see Neslon as much better than Chuckie Atkins. Nelson is stronger but I never see him use that strength.

18. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Ok, thanks or clearing that up...
    So we should take a kid that has had little to no success in the NBA (or D-League for that matter) and trust him to turn it on now that the playoffs have started.
    Granted L.H. or Flip are not your ideal PG they won't fold under pressure...
    I just find it humorous that you're calling for the coaches head because he doesn't have a late 2nd rounder in the rotation in his first year... maybe every team should do this too?... or is it just our team that has these hidden gems?
    In Lees world if you are young and on the team you're automatically worthy of taking vets minutes... they are always good... if the kid is foreign he's even better. lol.
    I'm done with this silly discussion.... pine on 356

19. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

I guess it is a different point of view but I saw that Darko's right eye was very red right after he poked Sheed in the finger with his eye. Besides, I thought most of you guys don't think Darko is smart enough to come up with that idea.

Sheed was yelling that Darko was to blame for poking him in the finger with his eye.

I will have to admit though that they do not often call those. When they are accidental, like this one was, they usually let them go, as long as there is not a big puddle of blood on the floor.

20. roscoe36

Lazy, I watched it frame by frame (30 frames a second) over and over. I'm very sure. Trust me, neither eye teared up, he didn't need a towel and his eyes were not red at the line 15 seconds later even though he kept making like he lost BOTH his contact lenses. lol

I'm quite impressed he pulled a stunt like that. Very clever. No lie.