1st Round Boston vs Atlanta

Discussion in '2008 Playoffs' started by max, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

How 'bout them Hawks! They almost blew it there--Bibby choked at the line, and why the $#% didn't they foul on the last play?!--but the Celtics' inability to score in the 4th was fatal. They went 5 minutes in the middle of that quarter without scoring a single point, which is pretty pathetic.

I'm sure Boston will dominate Game 7, but now they'll get a taste of how fickle the media can be. Everyone's been on their jock all year long, but from here to Sunday, it'll be nothing but comparisons to Golden St.-Dallas. ESPN was starting up with that even before the game was over tonight.
  2. fwoompf

fwoompf First Round Draft Pick

This really made my night, hell yes.
  3. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I don't know about game 7. What if they get really uptight with this enormous pressure? They were expected to breeze through into the conference finals to meet their destiny in Pistons, but clearly it's not working out.
  4. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Ray Allen/Sam Cassel are killing BOS defensively in this series.

Joe Johnson is effin awesome. I don't feel so irrational not about not wanting to fact ATL in the 1st round. The only team i wanted was TOR.

Now let's see if the Hawks can learn to play on the road. I'm so happy for them. JJ deserves it, and JS has always been a beast.

Also Al Horford quickly became my favorite rookie this year.

Looks likely if we make it to the ECF it's going to be the Lebrons.
  5. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

I would trade Flip for some other people: Pop, Sloan, Urkle Sr., Woodson, Laimbeer, McMillan.

I'll gladly eat my words later if I need to. Still a lot of pressure on Flip. But more on Doc. 'Course, if Doc doesn't get Boston to the finals, he can call Flip for therapy because Flip knows what it's like to carry the best regular season record into the playoffs and have nothing to show for it.
  6. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

If you think about it coaching aside, these are 3 players that haven't really proved anything in the PO's.

KG was retarded in the 4th. I mean when Sheed is going inside more than you, you've got problems.

Our players for all their drama have shown when it comes down to it, they can win it. How big LB was in that remains uncertain to a degree.

Also i would trade Flip for the ball boy so i guess yes.

edited to add;

Damn Mike Bibby for almost choking away that game offensively and defensively.
  7. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

If Atlanta hadn't lost by 19 or more in all 3 games in Boston this series, I might agree, but there's been no indication that they can even compete up there. Of course, the weakness for Boston that's been exposed is that they're very beatable on the road, and it's dangerous to have to rely so much on home court against better and more experienced teams.
  8. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Its one game.

Anything can happen.

I'll be watching for sure.
  9. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Yeah, I'm not totally writing off the Hawks for Game 7, but come on, the Celtics are still the massive favorites to win that game. As much as I can't stand them, you need to have some pretty strong blinders on not to see that. I give the Hawks maybe a 5% chance of winning this next game, 10% at best. 40% chance the Celtics win by single digits, 50% it's another blowout. I'll be ecstatic if I'm wrong, but I'm trying to stay realistic.
  10. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

It can go two ways for the Celtics. This "scare" from Atlanta can be their wake-up call or they'll continue to struggle the rest of the playoffs. I doubt they'll continue to play poorly on the road. Besides, they match up well with Detroit, but that Cleveland series could be brutal for them with the LeBron Parade to the Free-Throw Line.
  11. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    The problem is that they would've gotten a wake-up call if that's what it was. Look at the Pistons, they woke up and wrapped their series up quickly and convincingly. Boston, on the other hand, may not have another gear or mode or whatever you want to call it. They may have been going all out the entire season and now when other teams step it up they simply can't.
  12. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

I just talked to a Hawks fan (more a Falcon fan, but like me is all Atlanta in sports teams) and he is just beside himself in joy. If they pull this off, it will be the greatest upset over Mutumbo's Nuggets over Kemp's Sonics.
  13. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Boston is 27-0 lifetime, in series victories when up 3 games to 2. That's some impressive history...Can Atlanta Make my day !!!
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

In NBA history, the home team has won game 7 80% of the time.

I guess there is a HCA.

I'd put Boston's chances right about at the 80% mark.

It would really be nice for us if they somehow have a bad game though.
  15. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

I respectfully disagree my Antarctican brother.

The last thing we should want is for Cleveland to have an easy second round go of things.

I think we should all be rooting for Boston in game 7.
  16. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

did you see those guys in the post game.... there in total shock, they have nothing to lean on.... as much as we hate the switch when we went down 2-1, our player knew that they could come back because they have done it many times... these guys have to have doubt they have all failed numerous times in the playoffs and never really had much success..

shall be an interesting game on sunday.
  17. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Yeah right.

Boston by 20!
  18. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Lol, and I didn`t do mean to do that. Ok, now it`s official!
  19. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

heck i wouldn't be suprised if they won by 40... but it will be very intereting how they step up to the challenge
  20. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

CelticsBlog | The Scariest Part of Three Losses to the Hawks...

Come the playoffs and the Celtics have no higher level to step their play up to. Their regular season qulaity of play was the highest you are going to see, whereas other teams are turning it up a notch. The reason is because this is a flawed team in terms of being championship caliber. Whether or not they take out the Hawks tomorrow doesn't matter, I still believe as I have all year that:

a) It's very difficult to go deep into the playoffs with a second-year point guard getting the bulk of the minutes at his position. Rondo, for all his skills and improvement, is not Chris Paul or Deron Williams, two probable future HOF points. His decision-making is becoming more suspect as this series goes on.

b) Ray Allen has lost a step and has not been his formerly reliable self all season. It is even more apparent now - on both ends of the court. If not Tony Allen, the Celtics need to find a more athletic starting two-guard and bring Ray off the bench next year.

c) Kendrick Perkins should be a back-up center. He'll have three or four very good games in the season but is a non-factor more often than not.

d) The team's mojo has been disrupted by the additions of Sam Cassell and PJ Brown. You saw it in Dallas with Kidd and Phoenix with Shaq (it was probably more the deletion of Marion). Things were going along nicely with Eddie House as back-up to Rondo. You can make a case that it is not the same with Sam running the offense, despite his occasional scoring bursts.

e) The Doc factor is a non-issue in my mind. You can always question strategy, especially if things don't work out, but unless the coach is completely out to lunch he does not have a huge effect on the outcome of the games. The biggest question for a coach is whether or not his players will give 100% for him. I see no signs of anyone tuning out Doc.

Do you agree? My two cents

a) does it make it easier to us take stuckey's problems? Even Rajo rondo...

b) I do not think that pro athletes lose their step overnight. He maybe plays under huge psychological burden

c) please do not tell me that Scott Pollard is starting material...

d) I remember, knowledgeable guys here predicted how "Sam I am" impacts this team and they were right.

e) It is interesting that most of this forum treat coaches role like players can't breathe without coaches approval so it is remarkable how other fans look at their coaches role...