1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

1st Round Boston vs Atlanta

Discussion in '2008 Playoffs' started by max, Apr 22, 2008.

1. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Wow, nice game from the Hawks - didn't lose their pose down the stretch, but then again, Boston never really came at them from the defensive end. Atlanta seemed to be able to get what they wanted all through the fourth. Celts looked tired and put upon.

Interesting that the top lopsided series - Boston/Atlanta and Detroit/Philly are turning out to be the closest.

2. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I didn't see this particular highlight until Mike and Mike on ESPN this morning, but there was one scuffle where the referee was pulling Garnett away from the Hawks players, and Garnett actually pushed the ref's arms off him. Mike and Mike were talking about whether he would get suspended or not--the official rule is that any "intentional contact with the official" (or something like that) is an automatic one game suspension. Mike Greenberg thought there would be a suspension, but Mike Golic disagreed. Apparently Kendrick Perkins and Marvin Williams both stepped on the court at one point--I didn't see any footage of that--so they might be suspended under the leaving-the-bench rule.

I doubt Stern will actually sit Garnett down for Game 5, but who knows? The "popular" thing to do last year would have been to let Amare skate for leaving the bench, since everyone knew that the league would rather have Phoenix in the finals than San Antonio, but Stern suspended him anyway. Although enforcing a rule against the media darling Celtics would probably be even tougher.

What bothers me about this is that if Rasheed had done exactly the same thing as Garnett (I haven't looked for a video of it, but it's probably up somewhere on ESPN if you haven't seen it), everyone in the national media would be SCREAMING about how much of a punk Rasheed is, what a team-destroying knucklehead he is, how he needs to be suspended for the rest of the playoffs, etc. The double standard is what annoys me here. Rasheed has earned his reputation over the years as a ref-baiting hothead, but he's a great teammate in ways that a lot of people don't pay attention to, and he's never pushed an official. Garnett is obviously a HOF player who's led his team to an amazing season, but good luck getting anyone in the media to notice that he's also a punk who talks way too much trash to guys who are nowhere near his level of ability (i.e. most players in the league).

3. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

He did ferret out Tim Donaghy, though.

Agreed about Garnett. He's a big talker with a nasty mouth for such a softie.

4. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Oh yeah, I had forgotten all about that incident...LOL. It was pretty ridiculous. Sheed probably did go over the line there, but it wasn't worth the 7 games they gave him.

5. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Right after Garnett shoved his forearm in Pachulia's head my son shouted out ...suspension!...I think he's right. He made contact with the ref and gave that shot to Pachulia.

Loved Za Za's reaction...literally getting right in Garnett's face.

6. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I saw the bit where Zaza got in KG's grill, but that was a different incident from the one where KG pushed the ref's arms away, wasn't it? I don't think that all happened at the same time.

7. basketbills

Right...I think either one could get him suspended. What do you think?

Good drama. I loved seeing PP and gang get rattled.

8. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Some sense of perverse satisfaction seeing the "all-powerful Celtics" in the same situation as the Stones.

9. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Pushing the ref away probably should get him one game, but I doubt it'll happen.

10. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

Garnett deserves a one game... sorry he was forceful in his push of a ref.. end of story

I think what were seeing 2 things that I made mention of months ago... (wow for the first time i can see i was right) lol

1. Boston played at max effort all year and I'm not sure they have that next gear to go to now that the playoffs have started. Atlanta won't win this series because I don't think they can win on the road.... They really need the crowd to keep there energy up. I won't be suprised if it went 7 games though. There play reminds me a bit of the Pistons that year they just couldn't win in boston but would run the celtics off the floor in the silverdome. If Garnett does get suspended though... who knows what happens.

2. Rivers isn't that great of a coach, some of his moves are being highly debated in boston and around the country. Putting cassell in to start the 4th over there young PG was a mistake. Alot of other questions about his supstitution pattern. Atleast if we face them in the ECF I am not worried at all about being out coached.

11. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

does anyone have video of that? i watched the espn replay and it seemed like they didn't even show the incident

12. basketbills

13. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Thanks. I just watched this for the first time. My gosh, are Boston play-by-play guys big time homers or what? They are talking about Pachulia being an instigator, they saw a head-butt there??? And then they are questioning what replays are the refs watching by saying that it is Atlanta TV replay, so that will affect Garnett? They need to have their heads checked for signs of trouble, because they're there. These guys talk about playoff basketball - do they even remember what it is anymore?

14. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

The hawks are so pumped one ate an entire sparrow. But it was too much and the sparrows claws poked through the hawks "crop" killing it. MSN.com had a pic.

15. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

KG did push off on the ref in frustration and it was part of the same incident, but even though Stern and Stu Jackson were there in the arena watching it, I doubt with the series tied they will suspend him. Maybe if the C's were up 3-1, they would consider it but not the newly announced DPOY

16. LA Dre

Tapes show thow that the Celtics Kendrick Perkins and the Hawks Marvin Williams both took steps on to the floor during the Garnett-Pachlua altercation and there is possibility that both of them could be suspended a game.... if so who stands to lose here...? Probably the Celtics since Perkins is their starting center...but let's see if Stern does anything.....if no, then the Suns will be upset based on what happen to them last year.

17. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I think that game was the one that doneghy was betting on..if i remember correctly sheed was upset because doneghy called a foul with less than 10 seconds to go in the game. No one ever addresses it, but i feel that the league owes sheed for the 7 games of lost pay.

18. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If they're going after KG, seems like they would have done it today.

19. detteam

detteam All-Star

I haven't seen tape showing Perkins & Williams on the floor, but if they were, the league needs to be consistent after what they did to the Suns last year.

Between the forearm to Zaza & pushing the ref off (twice, the way I saw it), KG deserves a game.

20. LA Dre

ESPN showed the tapes earlier, but the league says no at this point, because it was only a small step for both..