1st Regular Season Game vs 76ers - Nov 2nd, 2005 - 8pm EDT

Discussion in 'November 2005 Games' started by Superstarov, Sep 5, 2005.

1. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

darko was offended by garbage time. he knew he was better than that and as we all know now he is better than that. just watch how dale davis plays if flip puts him in with 3 minutes to go. i think jmax feels minutes CAN be earned with flip. with lb minutes were not earned no matter what if you were a rookie and especially if you were foreign born. different coach may have something to do with the different approach to garbage time.

delfino has looked great in preseason and in the regular season in short minutes. what more does he have to do to prove he wants to be on the team. he's playing hard and unselfish and picked up defensively.
  2. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I remember that, way to crash those boards. did you see where sheed blocked philly twice, and he slapped the ball to rip who threw am lob for tayshaun for a highlight reel dunk. good game, how did you see it i thought the game was only on local tv not national?
  3. Zoso

Zoso First Round Draft Pick

himat

The Philly game was broadcast on both WB20 and ESPN.
  4. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

yep. And your right himat, that was an awesome play! :)
  5. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Review of game

First, Arroyo. The Pistons had just hit their last 4 shots when Arroyo entered the game with a minute and a half gone in the 4th quarter. The Pistons from there hit 14 of their next 16 shots, with many of them either being Arroyo assists, or Arroyo scores. (Nine I believe, 3 scores, 6 assists. Might have been 7 assists though.) His MO? Dribble the ball right to the basket, score if they don't stop him, which he did twice. If they do stop him, kick out to the open man who is always out there, or else they would not have stopped him from scoring. Quite effective.

Darko had two blocks. I wathced in frame by frame. Further, the first block was called a block by the announcer. Can't see how the official scorer missed that one really, although Darko did just barely get a piece of the ball. (Of course, you know there is some lattitude in this. Since in that case, the ball still got to the rim, it theorhetically still had a chance to go in, although in actuality the ball missed very badly after the "block"). I watched a bit closer on some of those rebound /block sequences, and I was more impressed with Darko on the 2nd look. My first impressions were wrong. He was really doing very little wrong. It was just the way the ball was bouncing. He was doing a very good job of altering shots. Nobody can dictate where the ball goes exactly on a miss. Now, the announcer called him once for missing a rebound, but not so. What happened is that Darko was fighting to get inside the defender, but the ball came out well long. Darko went way up for that one, reaching way back in an attempt to snag the ball. He almost got it despite being in an extremely awkward position by time he reached the ball.

Got to mention that Evans was in during the entire 18 for 20 shooting performance put on by the Pistons. He did only one thing skilled really, advancing the ball well on one fast break. But he was alert enough to avoid getting in trouble with the ball, getting out of his hands quickly. The other team was trying to collapse on him when he got the ball, recognizing his poor ball handling, but again, he got rid of the ball before traps could fully develop. Basically, everyone else around could handle the ball just fine and he let them.

Evans defense? Still not impressed. Yes he can jump. But he is short. Lots of times, a taller defender is needed more than one who can jump. This applies to interior defense the most. You are quite a disadvantage if the other guy is taller than you and has an automatic head start on you when they put a shot up.

Now, this is not to say Evans did all that bad on defense, or that guys his height can't be better defenders. From what I can see, Evans is mostly a raw physical player who is slowly learning how to play. For all intents and purposes, he was a rookie last year, and it show. He looks bad one sequence and seems to learn and do better the next.

Arroyo did not really do all that bad at all in the 2nd quarter. Despite Dyess and others missing shots, the Pistons did not lose ground in those five minutes Arroyo played there. Arroyo set up guys for shots several times, but the shots were simply missed.

In case anyone cares, the two shots missed in that 18 for 20 run were a floater by Arroyo and a wide open jumper by Dyess. Ben missed a pair of free throws in there, but even then, we got the offensive rebound off the 2nd miss. A couple of turns, none by Arroyo. One pretty impresive run for Arroyo there.

I caught what the announcer said this time. Sheed campaigned for Flip to come here and coach. Interesting.

Darko lost a few minutes of playing time due to waiting for a stoppage in the play. In one case, he was suppose to come in for Ben, but Ben was at the charity stripe so he had to wait even longer.

I forgot to add that offensive tap back Rip got to the list of ways he scored.

Sheed looked quite impressive when he was in the game as far as his scoring. Two of his fouls were helping out with AI. I suppose if it mattered, they could cut that out and end up playing Sheed a bit more.

That is about it for now. GO PISTONS!!!!!
  6. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Exactly. Beating Philadelphia is certainly no great feat, but let's not talk ourselves into believing that a team playing its second game of the season 90 minutes from home is somehow staggering into the building.

Dice is worrying me a little, but not much. We have extra options this year. I actually thought Darko should have taken some of his minutes last night, because Antonio often struggles trying to shoot over long athletic types like Hunter.
  7. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

Garbage time

The garbage time aspect was brought up here a couple of times. It was good to see the guys hustle for PT. Included in this was Darko who was put back in there, and did not seem too unhappy to be there. He had a board that helped JMax get his bucket; DMC also had a block in GT; and he got his bucket then.

This was related to show that I feel DMC and his GT troubles last year were misinterpreted by some posters. He did not do much last year in GT because he knew that it would not earn him PT. His attitude about PT did not begin until "ykh" would not reward him with PT for his hard work, no matter what he did and when he did it.

I think you will see him play hard during all parts of the game this year, just as the rest of the bench will be. They can depend on hard work rewarding them with PT, this year.

What a change :peace:
  8. linwood

linwood All-Star

76ers

The Pistons looked awesome last night against Iverson and those other guys.

Gotta give some props to the little guy though. The play where Iverson drove the lane, and Ben almost stole the ball (and almost took off AI's head), and he still makes the shot. Holy sh...
  9. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

hi Lazy

The problem was not the garbage time minutes. The problem was that Darko only got garbage time minutes. Just adding to your post a bit.
  10. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

this isn't a big deal. his shots were on but they just came up a little short. he wasn't featured much in the preseason so it'll take a couple games to get back in his shooting groove.

also, he's been shooting from the sides of the free-throw line instead of the baseline, and he doesn't look as comfortable there, and that's a tricky spot because it can lead to odd bounces on rebounds.