191-67... Unbelievable!

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Darth Tater, Jul 29, 2006.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Detroit is blessed (and spoiled). We complain about our sports teams, but other cities would love our problems.

The cumulative record of the Pistons, Red Wings, and Tigers (as of today) is a WHOPPING 191-67. That is a 74 % winning percentage.

Pistons 64-18
    Red Wings 58-16
    Tigers 69-33
    Lions...uhmmm...we shall see. (even if they go 0-16 our percentage will still be great).

I can't remember a time when we had all 3 teams playing at such a high level. (ok ok...no ships...but still great).
  2. max

max All-Star

Tigers are doing great. Wings lost in the 1st round for the 2nd straight time.

Compared to the Wings I guess we should be thankfull.

But - C'mon - Pistons were the odds on favorite to win it all last season. In a span of just a few weeks we went from a dynasty to just another contender. A seemingly sure thing for the championship in 06 with a 3-4 year window of league domination to the 4th-7th best team in the league.

Its a lot to get used to. The Wings will still be comming back with the same team plus a better goalie ( from what I hear). We lost our best player.

Yes at some point you have to let go and deal with it. But I don't think its unreasonable to still be shell shocked over what has happened.
  3. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

It's daunting. I was watching two Pistons games I recorded midseason and the "conventional wisdom" was that the Pistons would be a dominant team for 4-5 years with their starting line-up. Doug Collins and Bill Walton, and the TNT gang, all those people who make pronouncements like that. The perplexing thing is that I still can't put my finger on exactly what happened. Oh, yes all the details we've analyzed to death (Flip, tired legs, loss of confidence, no bench play), but I can't really grasp the totality of the meltdown. And the consequences. When I think of the likelihood of Chauncey leaving next, I just can't believe that this starting five couldn't survive a playoff setback and the coaching change to Flip, and that we didn't give Ben the money and voice he wanted to insure that we had that 3-5 year window. Shell-shocked is really good word for what I feel, although I try to keep a stiff upper lip and transition myself into a different Pistons reality. I am looking forward to the season, because I do love the Pistons, but I'm not looking forward to it in the way I expected to be looking forward to it. I thought we'd still be in the window of our dominance. And, well....we'll see. :fingerscr
  4. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

We are blessed as Detroiters. The Lions will have a good season, but everyone will be afraid to believe in any success following the acts of the Wings and the Pistons.
  5. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Nice thread Darth... that really is an amazing run by three teams in a non major market (under 1M population) where endorsement opportunities is considerably less than other big cities.

I guess it's human nature to focus more on the negatives.

It would be interesting to see the odds on each team (four major sports)getting to a championship game (let alone repeat)... Detroit has to be in the top 5% over the last 40 years.... of course you have some cities with two teams.
    If the Lions turned things around then we'd really have a national scoop.
  6. Pistons_1337

Pistons_1337 Second Round Draft Pick

Dont forget the Detroit Shock to the Number 2 in the east right now I was thinking about that today. The Lions I feel they will have a break out year out of no were you cant stay a weak team forever this year is the year of bad teams making it to the playoffs look at the Clippers this year. :eyebrows:

We need the Tigers to win it all that will make up for Wings and the Pistons losing this year. I never saw the Tigers win it all befor lol

I hope the Lions be like the Rams was in the late 90s Football a bad team can trun it around in one season.
  7. max

max All-Star

Yes I still cannot put my finger on exactly what happened. So many things went wrong all at the same time.

We also should factor in the Collegiate accomplishments out of Michigan. UM in football, bball, and Hockey. State in bball and Hockey.
  8. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Perhaps people in this forum thought a championship was a sure thing, but there is no such thing as a "sure thing". The Spurs were the defending champs. Many folks in the national media were still saying teams like the Heat and the Mavs had a great chance. The '06 Pistons were a top 5 team that had a great regular season. In the playoffs, they ran out of gas trying to shut down LeBron and then the Heat. They are a still a top 5 team in the NBA, in my opinion.
  9. max

max All-Star

Yes I will agree that statement. That painfull reality was made all too clear.

You have to remember how real a 70 win season seemed at one point. We were the odds on favorite over anything out West.
  10. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

That should be in a diff. thread. We're tal:) kin' Pros here.
  11. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

What does the smiley face in the middle of talkin' mean? :)
  12. max

max All-Star

I watch more college football than pro. Depends on your viewpoint I guess.
  13. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

It means the thingy was in the wrong place. Then it timed out on me.
    You aut to be able to delete/edit whenevever you feel like it.
  14. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

No. Then there is no accountability. You can't post in a convo and garner responses, then later go and remove or change what you said. It would make threads unreadable.

You got 20 minutes to fix a typo or change your mind/correct a mistake.
  15. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I don't know where you got that.
    And you can't edit polls at all. Gotta get it right on the preview.
    the 20 min. is fair. but not if you got dail-up and are a slow typer.
  16. max

max All-Star

I agree with the time limit. I have not created too many polls so no comment there. It would not be fair to the other members if you could edit way after the fact. The 20 mins is intended to correct typo's.

Be thankfull its not like detnews or mlive. You get nothing there.
  17. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

We're going way off topic here. TFD, stick it in the feedback area if you'd like to see it changed.
  18. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

:focus:
    Agree, that the other team in Detroit we may be overlooking is the Shock who after languishing for two years have regained their 2003 championship form, amassing a respectable 18-7 record including winning 14 of their last 17 & knocking off both division leaders and the defending champs.

I give them more of chance of getting a ring than the Tigers at the moment, only because they have been there before.

The Tigers look real good and lets hope that the errors that cost them today's sure winner doesn't come back to haunt them.
  19. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Mea Culpa. :doh: I'll take full responsibility for that.

:sorry: The oversight was unintentional. They certainly deserve mention with the others.
  20. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

As for history, I'm pretty sure that if the Pistons and Wings had both won the Championship, it would have been the 1st time it ever happened to a city.

I may be wrong, but I think this year was the first time that NHL and NBA teams from the same city finished 1st in their leagues.

If the Tigers keep it up, that would certainly be a record.

But would the National Media notice?

The D-Town writers probably would.