08 Draft Grade

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Abe Froemen, Jun 27, 2008.

?

How Did Joe Do

1. A

13.0%
  2. B

28.3%
  3. C

28.3%
  4. D

15.2%
  5. F

15.2%
  1. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

It is very early and the general vibe is this draft sucked no CDR no DeAndre Jordan no Bill Walker no DeVon Hardin so lets get the grades from you guys on how did Joe do.

2. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Joe did the right thing. Since there wasn't anyone worth taking, he opted to slide down in the draft and have the money available if the guys don't pan out. Don't forget, first-rounders get guaranteed 3-year contracts.

3. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

My take on it is this Joe was not and is not going to get burned by hype again. He is not going for the hometown hero CDR (Mateen) he is not going for the pet project (Darko) he is going for ballers. He is going to get killed for not taking CDR but he passed on him twice. DeAndre Jordan might have seemed like a reach.

It’s been a long day but I know this we have been begging for a backup to Tay for the last 3 years 4 maybe and Walter or Deron could be it. I watched a ton of highlights of Deron on youtube and the kid has NO FEAR taking it to the rim. I have wanted a player like that forever with this team and he is a throw away pick. Trent could be a serviceable big man to play along Amir and do some dirty work. At 6’11 and a back to the basket mentality that we lack from Sheed and Dyess this could be good. Walter Sharpe is a complete mystery for me but Joe had him 2 days for workouts and must have shown him something. Give it time to sink in guys and girls Joe may not have made the sexy pick we wanted in anyway shape or form but ask yourself this did he make us better.

Comparing Joe to Millen some of you should be ashamed of yourself.

YouTube - high life

4. max

max All-Star

That about sums it up.

What hype? There is no hype at #29.

Not a very exciting outcome, then again I was not expecting much with the next to last pick. Going down 3 spaces you can get pretty much the same guys.

I would have to say it was a smart move by him. Why give guaranteed contracts for bench fodder. I was hoping he would trade up to get someone decent but it did not happen.

5. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

D- from me as there was a chance to take as Abe said, to take CDR twice and he ignored him not wanting to pickup not the local guy. ommm seems like the Bulls pick their hometown guy and he was on the same team that almost won the title. .

6. CarlosGallan

CarlosGallan First Round Draft Pick

In few months we know if dumards has a good choice, first i hope more than a gaster with a bullet narcoleptic but may be good player.
    We must wait to opine, these 3 second rounds are connected with 2008/2009 trade and roster decissions,in few months we know if joe D has made A B C D or E pick.
    We need elite o good center not various standard players,with second round clean the roster.

Go Pistonsssss¡¡¡¡¡¡

7. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

To skip on CDR twice is inexcusable

8. NTC

NTC First Round Draft Pick

Are you kidding me? We STILL don't have a true centre, and if Joe wants to gamble, why not gamble on the likes of DeAndre Jordan, or Devon Hardin? They were argubally the best prospect centres on the board at the time. If he wanted a forward, why not go after Bill Walker, or CDR?

Did you even see who we ended up with? We might as well have forfeited the picks, because I'll be damned if any of these 3 guys make the team. Washington looks interesting, but we will likely never see him again after the Summer League. The same will happen to the other two aswell.
    But hey, feel free to prove me wrong Joe :bounce:

9. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

I REALLY do not want to support a team,which is so bad that even late 2nd rounders can help...I mean when you hope firepower from late 2nd rounder then you have to be desperate.

10. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

All 3 of these draft picks are either going to be in Europe or the NBDL next year. Perhaps we will see one or two of these guys play at the Palace, but not anytime soon.

The Pistons already have 5 young guys (Maxiel, Amir, Afflalo, Stuckey, Samb) that they are trying to work into the mix. That should be plenty of youth for Curry and Co. to develop and integrate in one season. The 2008-09 Detroit roster will be completed with free agents and trades.

11. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

I take my F back. I'll go D or C. Walter Sharpe doesn't look good.

Reasons why we didn't get Bill Walker and potentially other guys is because they didn't feel like playing for Europe next season.

True Blue Pistons

12. bricalz

bricalz First Round Draft Pick

Joe, joe, joe.

Talk about a letdown.

Could Sharpe really be better than CDR? I don't know. But I guess, we haven't had this success by not trusting in Joe. Yes, even with Darko. We won it that year remember?

I expected a trade. A big name. A familiar name.

Didn't happen. So graded this draft with a D, conditional of course on the coming season, future considerations and picks, and trades. Hey, there's no other way to go but up.

13. fwoompf

fwoompf First Round Draft Pick

Too early to judge, I'll vote after summer league :)

14. Tha Locstah

Tha Locstah First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

We as Pistons fans know all well that "almost" dosen't count for jack. There have been plenty of guys who were stars in college who don't amount to jack in the pros. Besides nobody should be shocked at this draft, we all know that Joe isn't the best evaluator of draft talent. A good point was made that by sliding out of the first round we limit our commitment to new young players and give the current young players (AJ, AA, Max) the room to grow. OR we could turn into Portland and keep a roster that is perpetually full of Rookies and Sophmore players.

:nerd2:

15. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

you guys are too selfish here: why should dumars take name who is familiar to you?

And why unfamiliar names are labeled automatically as busts? Isn't that überselfish: if I do not know that name he is certanly garbage!?

16. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

what were folks expecting with a 29th pick? If these players are so great then not only did joe and his staff miss on them but every other team in the league did too...

And how can folks say he's terrible in the draft... ok he got a bust in darko... but I bet almost every other team in the league makes the same mistake. The masses loved the Cleaves pick... (gee getting the home town boy everybody wants works out so well....) Seems he's learning as he goes along.

Talk about his picks that do stick in the league.... folks are saying he's as bad as Millen? wow....

you can't grade the draft 10 mins after its over, heck its sometimes hard to grade a year after the fact... how did everybody grade last years draft the day after? how about now?

i'll wait and grade this draft in 2010.

17. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

I initially voted F but now that I've cooled off a bit, I'll give it a more diplomatic "incomplete". I'm looking forward to the summer league; I wanna see how these newbies mesh with our current young "core". Stuckey playing in the summer league after going against some of the league's elite PGs should be interesting.

18. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Yo seem to miss the ENTIRE point of why Joe picked the guys he did and DIDN'T pick the guys he passed on.
    The Pistons can retain the rights to these guys for absolutely NOTHING while they get their respective games together in the Euroleague. If the work out well and succeed, - GREAT! If not, - you lose NOTHING!

If a dude like CDR is a bust, you're STUCK paying him and allocating a roster spot to him while he struggles in the D-league. Euroleague players are basically no-risk at all!

Meanwhile, the Joe saves about 3 mil. in cap space for a trade or f/a signing.

19. fwoompf

fwoompf First Round Draft Pick

The League's elite point guards play in the summer league?

I mean I'm looking forward to it too but let's face it, NBDL scrubs aren't exactly Chris Paul.

20. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I voted F last night and am even angrier this morning. To take guys solely because they'll play in Europe says a lot about the players they drafted. To not take a chance on Walker in the second round again says a lot about why this team has failed to reach, let alone win, the finals.

The good news is that they don't have to guarantee money to any of these guys. That frees up money to sign whatever loser Joe deems worthy off the scrap heap. How much $$ is the 29th pick guaranteed anyway? I’ll believe the trade crap when I see it.